Any way to just verify files already backed up?

philx509

I'm using Retro 6.0 on Windows 2000 to back up a small home LAN. I use an Exabyte 8720 for my backups. The "server" system has been pretty reliable for a long time, but today I got several odd messages from "NT/Authority" telling me the system would be shuttind down in 30 seconds.

I was doing a backup when this happened. The actual backup had been completed and Retrospect was comparing files. Only about 200 MB of a 4 GB backup was actually verified.

Is there any way I can tell Retrospect to simply verify all the files on the previous backup job?

Thanks in advance.

Philx509

Quote:

I'm using Retro 6.0 on Windows 2000 to back up a small home LAN. I use an Exabyte 8720 for my backups. The "server" system has been pretty reliable for a long time, but today I got several odd messages from "NT/Authority" telling me the system would be shuttind down in 30 seconds.

I was doing a backup when this happened. The actual backup had been completed and Retrospect was comparing files. Only about 200 MB of a 4 GB backup was actually verified.

Is there any way I can tell Retrospect to simply verify all the files on the previous backup job?

Thanks in advance.

Philx509

Not unless that feature has been added in version 7.

When a backup aborts, it is best to do a recycle backup, perhaps to another backup set,

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Philx509

When a backup aborts, it is best to do a recycle backup, perhaps to another backup set,

Huh? ooo.gif

Wow. I used to use BackUpMyPC several years ago. Even though that program in general can't hold a candle to Retrospect, BUMP could easily do a VERIFY-ONLY job. A recycle backup to a different backup set really screws up normal procedures.

Can you add this to the request list for 7.x? doh.gif

philx509

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Philx509

Huh?
ooo.gif

Wow. I used to use BackUpMyPC several years ago. Even though that program in general can't hold a candle to Retrospect, BUMP could easily do a VERIFY-ONLY job. A recycle backup to a different backup set really screws up normal procedures.

Can you add this to the request list for 7.x?
doh.gif

philx509

What good is a compare?

Suppose that there is a compare and it finds X files do not match.

You would then want a "Repair" facility to backup those files.

But, you already have that in an ordinary "Normal" backup".

Files that do not match in size, or certain attributes, will get backed up during a "Normal" backup.

However, Retrospect does NOT consider the actual file content, so even a match on size/attributes won't do the deed. Again, you would want to replace any non-marching files, but the only way, since REtrospect does not consider content as a criteria, is to do a recycle backup.

The best thing to do if the health of a backup set is questionable is to do a Recycle backup or create another backup set.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Philx509

Huh?
ooo.gif

Can you add this to the request list for 7.x?
doh.gif

philx509

What good is a compare?

Suppose that there is a compare and it finds X files do not match.

You would then want a "Repair" facility to backup those files.

But, you already have that in an ordinary "Normal" backup".

Files that do not match in size, or certain attributes, will get backed up during a "Normal" backup.

However, Retrospect does NOT consider the actual file content, so even a match on size/attributes won't do the deed. Again, you would want to replace any non-marching files, but the only way, since REtrospect does not consider content as a criteria, is to do a recycle backup.

The best thing to do if the health of a backup set is questionable is to do a Recycle backup or create another backup set.

Ah. I forgot to say that I was doing ARCHIVE operations, with the option to ERASE files after a successful "backup." In such a situation, you cool.gif DO wink.gif want the ability to do a verify only , or to resume an interrupted verify.

Does that clarify anything?

Quote:

Ah. I forgot to say that I was doing ARCHIVE operations, with the option to ERASE files after a successful "backup." In such a situation, you
cool.gif
DO
wink.gif
want the ability to do a verify only , or to resume an interrupted verify.

If the files are erased after the backup, what's left to compare?

If you choose, Retrospect will do a compare right after the backup is completed on each drive.

But that MUST be done during the current backup session.

Quote:

I think a verify would be a useful feature.

What if i've just done a backup and forgot the verify option ?

si

You previously stated that you had Retrospect ERASE the files, so to what would you compare?

Tie a string around your finger so you will not forget.

Better yet, create Run scripts that include the compare, and always use the Run scripts.

In any case, you can always run another Normal backup and that will let you know what Retrospect thinks has changed. This would be no different than running the backup and compare together in the firszt place, other than changed files would be backed up.

Quote:

Quote:

Ah. I forgot to say that I was doing ARCHIVE operations, with the option to ERASE files after a successful "backup." In such a situation, you
cool.gif
DO
wink.gif
want the ability to do a verify only , or to resume an interrupted verify.

If the files are erased after the backup, what's left to compare?

If you choose, Retrospect will do a compare right after the backup is completed on each drive.

But that MUST be done during the current backup session.

Howard,

The Erase operation takes place only after a successful verify. Absent a compare, I have to re-ARCHIVE the entire set of files. Waste of time and tape.

howard,

I didn't say I do an ERASE..that was philx509....

If i do a normal backup AFTER the first 'forgotton verify' backup it will only verify the NEW backed up files. I want to verify that the files I have on tape are good. I don't want to have to back the whole lot up again to verify.

I can think of loads of reasons why a seperate PROPER verify would be good......

I do backups that take 8 hours...and 8 hours verifying...sometimes there isn't time to do the verify because I need to do some other backup/restore..I should be able to go back and do the verify afterwards.

I have data online that doesn't change and is backed up on tape. Recently I needed to restore from tape and one of the restored files was corrupt....this makes me paranoid - I want to verify the rest of the tapes to check..

shall I go on ?

I think that software should work in the way we, the users, want. I don't want to have to tie a piece of string around my finger ! Just because you don't find a feature useful or appealling doesn't mean others don't

si

Archived