Basic Backup Questions

jerrylite

I have Retrospect 6.0. All I want to do is maintain an ongoing Backup for my 2 XP/SP2 PC's. My Backup drive is a Ext. 200gb Maxtor. I am now just doing a 'copy-paste' backup from PC>Maxtor. I want to Backup more intelligently, but keep it simple. Reading the 'Help' section has not helped.

1. I want to start a Backup process where each consecutive Backup ADDS NEW files to the Backup data (Destination), if there is an NEW file in the Source that is not in the Backup (Destination)

2. If the next Backup, (Source), has files that are NOT in the current Backup (Destination), I DO NOT want those missing source files to be DELETED in the Destination Files.

3. In other words, I only want to ADD to the Backup (Destination), NOT delete from it.

4. I have tried to do this, by doing a simple 2 file backup, then add (1) file to source, for a total of 3 files and do another backup, (which I guess is called a 'progressive backup', even though I have not seen that name as a backup choice in the menu's).

This 'adding a file' works fine.

5. But, when I DELETE (1) file from the SOURCE, and backup again, with the same Source & Destination, my backup now reflects the (-1 file, I'm back to 2 files). It has taken away that file. I don't want this, because I am constantly updating my PC data files (+ and -), and I want don't want to LOSE any of my PREVIOUS data.

Is there ANY way Retrospect can do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jerryp

Retrospect backups do *not* delete files for Normal backups. For that to happen, you have to Recycle the backup set (which blows away all old stuff and starts fresh). The new grooming option with Disk Backup will change that.

When mentioned #5, a) how did you back up (Normal backup or Recycle backup)? And how did you determine that the old file had been deleted?--perhaps you weren't looking in the right snapshot or didsn't search the entire backup set for your deleted file.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. In Ref to Step 5, I did a NORMAL backup. I deteremined the old file was deleted by looking doing a Retro File menu >Open, and looked at the backup set I used, properties 'snapshots' I believe.

Looking again at the snapshots, sessions, options, summary, etc., I am confused as to what all that is really saying.

I just spent a ton of time (because I'm a slow learner), re-doing the backup/restore process after hearing you say it does NOT delete files for a Normal backup.

I think I can do it now. I have done a 1st backup, then deleted a file from the source, done a 2nd backup, (at this point after the 2nd backup I am uncertain HOW to tell what happened as far as displaying how many files are in the Backup Set, except to look at the Menu>open>Backup set I used>properties>Summary. I guess that's supposed to tell you the number of files). Then I do a Restore, and get ALL the files I backed up to a 'Restore file' created in the location I specify to restore to.

I think I can do it, but I sure wish it was more clear as to the results of the stages of what's going on and what the Backup Set contains.

I think the key here is the difference between a Snapshot and Backup set.

A backup set contains all the files ever backed up. The snapshot is a list of all the files as of the time of the snapshot.

So, for example, you backup files 1 thru 10 and make a backup set. The backup set is created and a snapshot is created. The backup set contains all 10 files and so does the snapshot. Now, you delete file 1 and do a, second, normal backup [to the same backup set]. The backup set still has all 10 files. The snapshot created during the second backup contains only files 2 through 9.

Make sense?

I think that's a reasonable description. The important thing is your case is that that the earlier data *is* still part of the backup set (if not a later snapshot, and as long as no recycle or grooming has taken place) and can be recovered by searching the backup set for it.

From the latest Retrospect manual:

A Snapshot is a list—you can think of it as a picture—

of all files and folders on a volume when

it is backed up. For each volume, one Snapshot

is stored in the Catalog File and a copy of the

same Snapshot stored on the backup medium

(tape, disk, cartridge, or CD). Following each

successful backup or archive operation, the old

Catalog File Snapshot is replaced but old media

Snapshots remain untouched and Retrospect

adds new Snapshots to the medium.

I really want to thank those who have responded to my question.

I have tested doing multiple backups with small file numbers, so I can track what's going on. I have done multiple restores using different scenarios. I am comfortable enough to go with it. You have showed me how to prove that deleting files from the source and doing another 'Normal' backup to the same backup set, does not delete any files from that backup set. So, a restore indeed has ALL your data.

Archived