Retrospect 7 hangs with OFB enabled

rwsunrx

When I try to do a simple Immediate Backup, using the Backup Wizard, Retrospect 7 just hangs. In particular, the Activity Monitor's Executing Window shows 'Preparing for open file backup...', even though the files I'm trying to backup are not open. However, when I choose to disable all Open File Backup, the backup proceeds without any problem. When using the Backup Wizard, the default option is Open File Backup enabled. Furthermore, when I try to Stop this execution from the Activity Monitor, Retrospect remains hung and I cannot even exit Retrospect. Windows just complains of Process Not Responding.

So what am I doing wrong? I'm running Retrospect 7, with Windows XP Pro, on a Dell with a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4.

Thanks for any help,

Robin

There may be a problem with the Volume Shadow Copy service - if you look at your Services (Right click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services) do you see a listing for Volume Shadow Copy? Can it be started/stopped?

Do you have any other backup programs or open file utilities installed?

What other programs are running at the time (including background apps like Norton)?

AmyJ, Thanks for the tips. When I disabled Norton Internet Security, Retrospect started working with OFB. So after a little experimentation, it appears that Norton firewall was not properly configured for Volume Shadow Copy service.

Thanks for your help,

Robin

Archived