Lacie 16x DL dvd+-rw firewire (NEC ND-3500AG)

Hi. I am using Retrospect 6.0.204 and latest driver update 6.1.102 with the above drive. I get the spinning beachball of death when either manually configuring it or just trying to backup without configuring. I tried different media (either 2x and 8xDVD(minus)R, also CD-R) with the same result. I downloaded Lacie's firmware update tool, which though reported that the drive's firmware is up-to-date.

Has anybody had any luck with this drive? Many thanks!

What machine are you using this on? I have had the same problem with this drive on a first generation 2Ghz dual G5. The strange thing is, I have the same problem with a Plextor 8x drive as well, but both work fine on a 2nd generation 1.8Ghz dual G5. I've tried everything I can think of to get either drive to work on the 2Ghz machine to no avail. I've created a separate bare user account to eliminate software conflicts, repaired permissions, run drive diagnostics, completely removed Retrospect and installed it again from scratch, removed all other firewire devices, tried multiple brands and speeds of disks, etc. and neither drive will give me anything but the beachball of death when I try to use or custom configure either device. My internal 4x drive works, as does an external firewire 4x lacie burner, but nothing faster. Until I found they both worked well on the other machine, I thought the problem was strictly with Dantz, and since I'm not the only one with the problem, that still may be the case, but I'm still looking for other possible causes. Both machines are running 10.2.8 and most things are the same between them so I'm at a loss.

Let me know what you're running and maybe it will help point to the problem.

Thanks, TP, for your reply. I run 10.3.7 on a G4 Dual 1.25 MDD.

In the meantime I also tried unsuccessfully 16x DVD+R media by Verbatim. Possibly a firmware update would help: The one offered by Lacie though isn't very up-to-date compared the the NEC one, but for that I have to remove the drive from the firewire case and install it directly in the G4, meaning probably ruining the Porsche enclosure and invalidating the warranty. And the whole exercise may not work anyway...

I wouldn't bother since I've been able to get mine to work on two other machines, a Dual G4 and the Dual 1.8 G5 I mentioned, one that's older and one that's newer than G5 with the problem. In fact, every drive I've tried works fine except on this particular G5. It's obviously not related to that model since you're having the same problem on a G4. I tried installing an internal drive in place of the one that came with the machine and had the same problem, so it's not limited to firewire drives, and that drive also works fine in another machine. The only thing I haven't tried is a clean install of the OS, but that's such a pain that I hate to go through that since everthing is working fine and the drives all work with every other program I have. Hopefully someone with chime in with a great idea.

Archived