full backup w/o spyware

Just bought Maxor one touch with v6.0 to back up the entire c drive and reformat it(seems i will have to buy v 6.5 somewhere though) I have spyware and adware i cannot get rid of using removal programs. How can I do a complete backup w/o those undesirables they won't delete and reinstall themselves. I'm not sure what to do. Thank You.I'm running wME.

I think you're going to have a tough time getting (asking for) a backup program to automatically remove spy/adware if *dedicated* removal programs can't. There's no way for the backup program to randomly but correctly remove a bunch of unknown files, changed files or sector changes without jeopardizing your actual & valuable PC files and data, and I wouldn't want it to try. If it was good enough to do this *correctly* and *safely* it would **be** a spyware cleaner (*and* a floor wax...).

If you had pre-spy/adware backups of your PC, you could first try reverting to one of those. Assuming you don't, I think you have the option of finding removal spy/adware programs that *will* do the job *or* backing up your data and starting over (i.e. reformatting the PC) and then doing a better job of keeping the spy/adware stuff off your PC from the beginning.. As a starting point, what are you using to clean the PC? I've had excellent results with WebRoot's SpySweeper ($ but free trial), LavaSoft's AdAware (free works great, also have some paid versions) and SpywareBaster when cleaning other's PCs.

Thank you for your very timely and knowledgeable response GoAWest. I use Spybot and Adaware (free). Seems the only recourse left is to selectively do a backup of my programs, reformat and reload from my ME disc. Then buy the full spy and ad killer programs as well as upgrade to v6.5 of Dantz so that it will backup the boot portion of the source drive. I had never run across spyware like this-Control-alt-del will not stop it from running, it just reloads itself, same for taking it out through msconfig. Ah-well, thanks again. Let the fun begin!

I ran into one of those on somebody's machine. It was very nasty, and used a "buddy" system, with two processes monitoring each other so that if you killed one the other would recreate it. I finally got rid of it by booting in safe mode so that *neither* was running then deleting all unwanted startup items (files and registry).

Archived