Que fire stops responding in OSX backup

I have a Que firewire CDRW 16x (Plextor mech). I'm trying to get it to work under OS X 10.1.3 with Retro 5.0.203. The backup starts ok, but partway through (the stopping point varies) Retro reports the drive is "not responding". I've made a bunch of coasters, both Imation and Maxell CD-Rs (not CD-RW).

One time it quit just as I unmounted and unplugged another Firewire device (a hard drive) which was not involved in the backup. This indicates it might be a Firewire issue. The Que is plugged directly into a firewire port on my Cube, not in a hub. I have tons-O-RAM (1.5gb). Otherwise (at least with Toast) the Que works fine.

Any suggestions?

--Colleen

Try a higher quality CD first. TDK and Memorex are good, but any high quality CD-R should do.

If this still fails, can you confirm the mechanism in the drive (from the Device Status window)?

• 5 weeks later...

I looked at the CDs I'm using = they ARE Memorex....I am having issues with smooth functioning of Retrospect and thought that might be the culprit, but no = I'm using the ones that are supposed to be okay = they say Memorex, CD-R, 700 mbs and 80 min.

Evidently it is somethign I can fix if I hang around the computer and click on 'continue' when it tells me it doesn't recognize the media or something...but I am not about to come here at 3am in the morning to see if I need to do that = and when I get in in the morning then I find Retro has not run, as planned == that's not how it's supposed to operate, right?

Victoria

[this isn't on topic of QueFire = but it's the only message I found when I was searching for TDK and Memorex as the names of 'okay' media)

Archived