Retro 8.2 restore from 6.x media

Don Lee

I have rebuilt a 6.x "Removable Disk" media set with Retrospect 8.2 and restored some test files from it with no problem.

(I have another bug open about converting this rebuilt set to a Retrospect 8.2 Disk Media set -- but that's a separate issue...)

I have not tested tape or DVD media sets, so others would have to comment on those.

I did a test 6.2 file set as well and that worked fine.

The file set (IIRC) actually just rebuilds the whole file in 8.2 format, rather than just rebuilding the catalog like it did for the "removable disk" set.

Either way -- the test I did worked. But that wasn't with a really old "file" set (like my "removable media" set was).

Good Experience

I have successfully rebuilt catalogs of LTO4 media (created using Retrospect 6.2) using Retrospect 8.2 running in Intel Xserve (connected to HP StorageWorks MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 Tape Library, SCSI)

Not So Good Experience

However, on server in our other office I am having trouble rebuilding catalog of LTO2 media (created using Retrospect 6.2) connected to an Overland LoaderXpress, SCSI. The rebuild stops at different points during the rebuild (I've tried it several times). The autoloader simply reports "Loader Idle". Hmmmm not happy. I'll arrange for the tapes to be sent to other office and try it on the Xserve (Intel) running Retrospect 8.2 connected to HP StorageWorks.

Edited by Guest

How is your Overland LoaderXpress connected to the server because I have found that older devices and cards do not send the commands correctly unless you have the correct drives for the OS and/or card.

I run into the same problem with an Overland Storage Powerloader AIT-3 library when commands are not sometimes relayed in a delay fashion. I have it connected to the computer via an older SCSI card that is not supported on 10.5.8 I would check to make sure the LoaderXpress is supported on your current OS.

Good Experience

I have successfully rebuilt catalogs of LTO4 media (created using [color:red]Retrospect 6.2[/color]) using Retrospect 8.2 running in Intel Xserve (connected to HP StorageWorks MSL4048 2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 Tape Library, SCSI)

Not So Good Experience

However, on server in our other office I am having trouble rebuilding catalog of LTO2 media (created using [color:red]Retrospect 6.2[/color]) connected to an Overland LoaderXpress, SCSI.

Sure about that? There never was a "Retrospect 6.2". The last released version was Retrospect 6.1.230.

Russ