ckullman

client says "error during startup"

Hello,

I'm running Retrospect 7.7 for Windows, version 7.7.325, RDU 7.7.2.100. I have about 30 client computers, all macs, and they all work except for one.

The troublesome client computer is a Mac OS Leopard 10.6.x, with retrospect client 7.7.106.

On the client computer, when selecting the "on" radio button, instead of saying "ready" it says "error during startup". It does not allow me to select the preferences button either. I've reinstalled the client many times to no avail, the same thing keeps happening.

Any idea why this would happen? This client computer is no different to others we have which work without problems. The client computer is accessible through the regular network.

Could it be a network problem, not a software problem?

Thanks!

Chris

If it is having a problem during start up there should be something in the Mac Console logs or even in the retroclient log(in the Mac console logs as well under /private/var/log).

I am seeing this on my lone Mac client - it was working before. I updated to the new Mac OSX client (6.3.029), but it did not help. Seems like some OSX update can cause problems for the Mac client...

- Paul

My mac is also running Leopard 10.6. Are you still seeing the problem? I downloaded the latest Mac client again and installed, but I am still seeing the problem.

Again I would check the Mac console log and the retroclient log from the Mac Console app to see if there is any additional information about the failed startup.

Okay - I checked the console log --- there are numerous entries of this:

8/22/10 10:06:34 PM [0x0-0x23023].com.retrospect.client.cpgui[256]

Usage: retroclient [--help] | [-setpass | -log n | -ip n]

8/22/10 10:06:34 PM [0x0-0x23023].com.retrospect.client.cpgui[256]

First access password not set, use retroclient -setpass

Chris & AndrewA:

After searching the forum history, I found that the script from Knowledgebase Article #7968 corrected the problem. Perhaps somewhere in the update process the Retrospect password got "hosed". My mac client has a G5 processor -- it would be interesting if Chris' problem was also involving a G5-based Mac.

- Paul