Using Retrospect to make 3rd copy in cloud

drick

hi,

i finally found a cloud storage provider that has pricing that is palatable to me and need to now find a way to get my backup data offsite for DR purposes.

I currently backup my SOHO environment using RS to a local NAS device. i would like to then do a backup set clone job, and send the catalogue files and data files offsite to the cloud (encrypted at highest levels offered [256 AES] by RS first).

Has anyone else done this yet, or is this even possible to accomplish from inside RS/

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck using BatchSync Secure for this. You need to be careful not to touch files that are in use, or you can corrupt the backup set. I accomplish this two ways:

1) Tell BatchSync not to touch files that have been modified within the last hour.

2) Don't schedule transfers on days that groom jobs run.

This sounds simular to what I'm doing at our office. I'm using ReadyNAS storage boxes, which have built-in rSync-over-SSH capabilities to pull the data from our network nightly.

Our 'off site' NAS box should be arriving in the next couple of days, so I can test how well the RS storage mechanism and rSync play together.

Rich