Moving disk backup set

jhg

yes. See the section of the Users Guide entitled "Moving Retrospect" (in the index). The issues and steps are the same as if you moved Retrospect to a new computer, except you don't have to reinstall Retrospect.

If you had provided the Retrospect version you are using, I could have pointed you to the correct Users Guide and page, but it should be rather easy for you to figure out. The documentation is here:

Retrospect documentation

Hope that helps,

Russ

Hmm... that section of the manual deals with moving the catalog files, which I know how to do. I'm asking about the backup data files themselves.

For example, I have an HD backup set on a physical disk currently labeled BACKUP02. On that disk there is a root-level folder named "Retrospect", with subfolder "HD Set 004\1-HD Set 004" that contains the backup data files. I'd like to move this backup set to a different physical disk (keeping the directory structure intact). Will Retrospect be able to recognize this if it's on a different physical disk?

I think the _safest_ way to do this would be to have both drives connected at once, create a new set of disk sets on the new drive and then use the "transfer backup sets" function to move all the snapshots from the "old" disk sets to the "new" disk sets.

It may not be the fastest route, but it's one that's pretty much guaranteed to work correctly :)