File appears incomplete

I'm trying to run a copy script that copies files from one server to another. When I do this, I'm getting the following error:

File : appears incomplete

We have open file backup, and we are getting a good open file lock. Are these files being copied correctly? Or are they corrupted? I have not had a chance to test the files yet (they are virtual machine hard drive files).

Thanks in advance.

Files system is NTFS on both systems. Both systems are running Windows Server 2003 (one 64-bit, the other 32-bit).

The file can be copied as long as it's not in use.

Again, when I'm backing this file up to a disk (or tape) backup set, the transfer completes successfully.

I tried to troubleshoot this further:

1. I tried increasing the disk idle time to 7000 milliseconds (this did not work).

2. I tried copying the file to a different Windows server (this did not work).

3. Just for grins, I tried copying the file to a Mac server (this DID work).

My guess is that Retrospect is having issues with maintaining Open File locks on two Windows boxes at once. Since the Mac client does not support open file (Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service), Retrospect only needs to maintain an open file lock on one machine instead of two.

I'll call support on this today.

I just thought of something that I'll try over the weekend:

1. Copy the files from the first Windows server to a Mac server.

2. Copy the files from the Mac server to the second Windows server, using the optional "move" so that I don't take up much needed space on the Mac server.

Using the Mac as an intermediary might solve the problem.

Using the Mac as an intermediary DID solve the problem. Of course, the copy takes twice as long, as we are going to a "third party" server instead of directly between the two Windows servers.

Can we have an EMC response to this?

Edited by Guest

If these are VM drives cant you just have a backup of the base drive, and then just create a snapshot and pull the VM disk in a normal backup (not open file). It was my impression when you create a snap it freezes the main VM disk, and allows you to back it up, and you commit the snap or create another one, and it writes those changes to the original disk file.