Retrospect thinks disks have dirty tape heads and stops backup

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem as the previous poster. I'm running Retrospect 6.1.230 for Mac on a Mac OS X 10.5 trying to back up to a Western Digital 4TB MyBook drive. The backup media is formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. This is the first 4TB drive we've tried backing up onto.

On all backup sets I've tried I get the bad media error -36 can't save catalogue or 206 drive reported a failure.

I have run the Mac OS Disk Utility on Verify and Repair and it has come up with no problems.

Is the disk bad or is it something with retrospect?

I'm having the same problem as the previous poster.

Perhaps, perhaps not. The previous poster didn't provide any configuration or version information, which is probably why no one responded.

I'm running Retrospect 6.1.230 for Mac on a Mac OS X 10.5 trying to back up to a Western Digital 4TB MyBook drive. The backup media is formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. This is the first 4TB drive we've tried backing up onto.

You provided enough information, though.

Understand that Retrospect 6 is very old, and is no longer being supported. On an Intel Mac (you don't provide any information about your computer), it runs as PPC code emulated under Rosetta using the Carbon API, and there are many bugs and limitations because of that combination.

I believe, however, that it's the 4 TB limit that is hitting you. Try reformatting your drive into smaller volumes, see if it works that way.

Russ

You are welcome, glad to help.

And thank you for providing sufficient configuration information in your problem statement so that I could figure out what was happening. I wish that all posters were as complete as you were. I've stopped responding when people don't provide enough information.

Russ