Used tapes crash. Reformat?

Mac, OsX 10.4.11, Retrospect 6.1.230, Sony AIT-2 SDX-520c. I just bought some old tapes (HP Q1998A) most likely used on Windows platform. It will see the tape. "Unrecognized Format" I erase. Backs up a bit then get dirty head error. Then goes downhill. Will not load. Crashes Retrospect and eventually crashed the entire system. Is it not possible to use tapes formatted for other devise, platform etc?

Ok, that eliminates the incompatible SCSI HBA possibilty. There's a possibility that it could be a firewire chip issue, but you seem to have eliminated that possibility by trying a different drive.

I'm clueless. But it doesn't seem to be a Retrospect issue, seems to be something further out in the hardware chain.

Russ

Jack, you never did answer Dave's question about whether you tried backing up using a different tape drive. If you didn't, the tape drive assembly would be the obvious place to suspect at this point. Have you spoken to LaCie tech support about this problem? We have had problems in the past with LaCie assemblies, including poor solder connections in the enclosures and faulty power supplies.

You mention a system crash. What happened: a freeze, kernel panic, what?

I only have the one tape drive. I think Lacie quit selling this unit quite awhile ago and they are not much help. I had trouble with it a year or so ago and sent out to have it rebuilt. Has been fine since then.

The trick here is that I only have trouble with the used tapes that had been formatted for other software. New tapes that I use read and write correctly. I also use Retrospect to burn DVD archives and that also works fine.

Not sure what type of crash. The one where your screen turns dark and it tells you to restart the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I ran the -w script. Got through a write and a read and then got a Media Error. Did same several times with new or old tapes. After the media error it looses track of the device (if you run the probe again).

I ran head cleaner. Also getting a new cleaner just to be sure. My guess is that is not the problem. It seems to consistently work for awhile, then not. When using retrospect it will put 1 gig on the tape and then get the media error. I tried using both a firewire 400 connection and a USB connection just to see if that mattered. Did not. Any thoughts, or should I give up on this drive?

Since the drive manufacturer's tool indicates problems, you really have only two options: send the unit out for repair or trash and replace it. If you choose the repair option, I'd recommend that you not go to LaCie, but use an independent vendor. If the estimated cost for repairs exceeds 30% of the cost of a new drive, I'd also say forget it.

Any thoughts, or should I give up on this drive?

It's unclear from the history in this thread whether you tried updating the firmware in the drive. The firmware is on the same page as the Sony diagnostic - you might try that, perhaps error recovery routines have been improved.

That's about the best I can suggest. If you are getting the issues with the Sony test tool, well, you have to get past that point before you can expect Retrospect to be happy because Retrospect wants you to have error free data before it will let you trust the backup set.

Russ

Did get new head cleaner. No difference. It is $325 to fix drive (www.pacificdatastorage.com). I've done that once before and worked for a year. Just does not seem stable to me. Spent way to much time trying to figure out what is going on. Anyone else see these devices as fragile? I'm now pondering giving up the tape drive setup and investing in big hard drives to mirror our live data. Have around 10 TB of data in the "in progress" category. Lots of big graphic and video files, etc.