Grooming failed, again

As usual, grooming has failed to work as expected. On 7/21 the grooming policy dictated that an automatic grooming should be done on one of my backup sets. As is common, it failed with error -1101 (file/directory not found). I then started the normal procedure of recreating the catalog.

After that ran for 13:42:43, I then ran a manual groom operation on the backup set. That proceded to run for 12:41:17 before it failed with this error:

Grooming Backup Set Production1 failed, error -2242 (Catalog File duplicated or ambiguous)
You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.
See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.
Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Production1, error -1 (unknown)

Sweet!!

So here we go again, looks like I'm in for another day of rebuilding/regrooming and keeping my fingers crossed. Meanwhile data hasn't been backed up for 4 days.

Are any of these well documented grooming issues addressed in 7.6 I wonder?

Can't compress Catalog File

Are you really trying to compress it? What happens if you have that option turned off? That is, after you recreate the catalog, turn that off, then run the groom.

How much space is on the C: drive and how much space is on the drive where the catalogs are located (if that is different from C:)?

Yes, "Keep the Catalog File compressed" is selected for the backup set, and all of my backup sets for that matter. It always has been and I've never seen this error before, through many catalog rebuilds.

Storage space is not an issue here, there is plenty. For an excruciatingly detailed overview of my setup see these posts:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/26204

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/26354

I keep that option turned off for sure. Every time you rebuild or alter a catalog in any way, it's going to take time to compress the whole catalog and they really aren't that large when uncompressed.

I'm not sure what's causing your problem, since it almost always takes a crash to corrupt a catalog.

The only other thing I can think of is a hardware problem. Are you doing verification on the backups to ensure what's saved on disk is the same as what's on the client?

I also gets invalid catalog files periodicly while grooming backup sets.

Just today I got:

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set DMZ-APPServere, error -1 (unknown)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set DMZ-APPServere, error -1 (unknown)

Nearly all my backupsets are compressed.

Robert

Yes I know. I have rebuild so many times by now I can do it in my sleep.

A question: when I turn off compression when will this apply to the backupset? At next grooming?

Is it safe to disable compression on a backupset and leave it as this without futher action?

RObert