W2K3 Server reboots during backup

I have one Windows 2003 Standard server that reboots every time I back it up with Retrospect. The backup gets to a folder in my \windows\temp folder called hsperfdata_system, says "can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation), Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed). This is when the W2K3 file server reboots with a stop error: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x8a4822b0, 0x8a482414, 0x80965a86) - problem caused by a device driver.

Any ideas?

Quote:

Quote:

problem caused by a device driver.

Any ideas?

Update the device driver. All of them, in fact. And don't trust Windows Update, go to the vendor's site.

Run CHKDSK.

This only happens when running a Retrospect backup, so I was hoping someone had seen this before. I don't know which device driver it's complaining about and if it's a valid error. I did all of the windows's updates and ran chkdsk. Since it is rebooting at the exact same spot in the backup each time, I was hoping to just skip the folders that it is choking on. I have created a selector to skip the hsperfdata_system folders to see if that helps.

Quote:

Just skipping the files during backup fixes the symptoms, but not the cause.

Did you check all sectors with CHKDSK?

What happens if you try to copy the files in question to another hard drive? (not using Retrospect, of course).

Fixes the symptoms, but not the cause.....agreed. Chkdsk.....yes. Haven't tried to copy...I'll wait until I can afford a reboot.

Google seems to point to this folder being related to a java install and recommends a java update. I'll try this later to see if it helps.