Two copies of Retrospect running?

I gave up on fighting this one. It has nothing to do with the version of Retrospect, or the presence of other copies of the application on other drives, and don't waste your time reinstalling or deleting preferences. It's a bug, even in version 6.1.126, and there appears to be no way to prevent it other than leaving Retrospect running all the time, which I don't want to do.

So I went back to using the approach I used back when Retrospect wouldn't launch at all under OS X: I schedule the backups within Retrospect but configure it *not* to launch automatically, then schedule a cron job to launch the application a minute before backup time (the Darwin command to launch a file is "/usr/bin/open <file>").

hi mhayes,

did you try a rebuild of 'Launch Services Database'? just curious as you may have given up, but it may (or may not) help someone else.

i'm not suffering from the problem, but the when reading the links i provide it reminded me of the description most in this thread used.

Waltr:

I've rebuilt my Launch Services Database a number of times, to clear out duplicates appearing in "open with..." contextual menus. If this did fix the Retrospect problem (which has always been intermittent, so it may have, I wasn't paying attention at the time), the Retrospect problem came back. So it's at best a temporary fix, at least on my system. Someone else may have better luck. In any case, there seem to be enough other problems associated with RetroRun to avoid it anyway by using the cron technique.

Thanks for the note,

Mark

Just as another data point, we only saw the "two copies of Retrospect running" once, about 9 or 10 months ago, never rebuilt Launch Services database, haven't seen it since. Obviously there have been a few Mac OS X Server (10.4.2 -> 10.4.6) updates since then and a few Retrospect updates, too. In our case, it happened when Retrospect failed to do its normal scheduled backup, and we logged into the server and manually started Retrospect, and got the two copies running then. I suspect our instance was a different cause than what is causing these other "two copies" problems that others are noting. We don't do "backup server," if that matters, only normal scripted backup to walk our network, back up the clients, then various scripts for the Xserve. Also, we have only one script scheduled to run at the appointed time (6:00 p.m.), with the other 3 scripts scheduled to start at 6:05 p.m. (which is while the first script is still running), and Retrospect runs these other 3 scripts in alphabetic order.

Russ

• 1 month later...

This may be another data point of interest with this problem.

Mac OS X 10.4.7

Retrospect 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.6.100

I also got the 'two copies running' problem again yesterday and today, after not seeing it for months.

I noticed that the messages in the Log have differently formatted dates for the two Retrospect launches:

Quote:

Retrospect version 6.1.126

automatically launched at 7/13/2006 7:00 AM

automatically launched at 13-07-2006 07:00

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.6.100

Note that the first launch uses the US mm/dd/yyyy AM/PM date format, while the second one uses the Dutch dd/mm/yyyy format. I use the second (Dutch) one for my day-to-day non-administrator account on this machine.

I also have another account with administrator privileges. I just noticed that this admin account still had the default US date format in its preferences. Both accounts were logged in when the duplicate launch occurred this morning.

This suggests to me that the two launches have something to do with the two accounts.

Thanks,

Jan Pieter Kunst

UPDATE: indeed, no more double Retrospect launch after logging out the administrator account.

Well, unfortunately, things seem to be more complicated. There was another double launch this morning. and this morning the only logged in account was my personal, non-admin one. Also, the date format for the admin account was changed to dd-mm-yyy earlier.

From the Retrospect log:

Quote:

automatically launched at 7/21/2006 7:00 AM

automatically launched at 21-07-2006 07:00

I have no idea where Retrospect is getting the US mm/dd/yyyy date format from at this point. I suppose it's the system default or something.

JP

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Is this the same problem?

"Can't add to backup set Abel Backup Set: The catalog is locked."

Log:

? Retrospect version 6.1.126

automatically launched at 3/25/2007 12:05 AM

? Retrospect version 6.1.126

automatically launched at 3/25/2007 12:05 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.5.102

+ Normal backup using Abel Daily Backup at 3/25/2007 12:05 AM

To backup set Abel Backup Set…

- 3/25/2007 12:05:27 AM: Copying Gauss…

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.5.102

+ Normal backup using Abel Daily Backup at 3/25/2007 12:05 AM

Can't add to backup set Abel Backup Set: The catalog is locked.

3/25/2007 12:05:34 AM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 3/25/2007 12:05 AM

3/25/2007 1:08:40 AM: Comparing Gauss…

File “windowserver.log”: different data size (set: 34,519, vol: 35,006), path: “Gauss/private/var/log/windowserver.log”.

File “com.apple.Syndication.plist”: different creation date/time (set: 3/25/2007 12:43:29 AM, vol: 3/25/2007 1:13:38 AM), path: “Gauss/Users/esther/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Syndication.plist”.

File “Database3”: different modification date/time (set: 3/25/2007 12:43:46 AM, vol: 3/25/2007 1:13:46 AM), path: “Gauss/Users/esther/Library/Syndication/Database3”.

3/25/2007 1:15:55 AM: 3 execution errors.

Completed: 5579 files, 945.0 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 81.0 MB/minute (58.8 copy, 130.3 compare)

Duration: 01:10:28 (00:47:09 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 3/25/2007 1:16 AM

Mac OS X 10.4.9

G4 iMac

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.5.102

Any known tricks to prevent this?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is the cause of your problem, but your RDU is somewhat old. The current RDU is 6.1.9.102.

Update is here:

Retrospect Mac updates

I've only seen the "two copies of Retrospect running" issue once myself on our Xserve G5, for Retrospect versions 6.0.x through 6.1.126, and Mac OS Server 10.4.2 through 10.4.8.

Question:

What do your scheduled scripts look like? Do you happen to have two scripts scheduled to start at the launch time? Otherwise, only significant difference I see from our setup is that you run Backup Server, we don't.

Russ