Not copying files with hyphens in it?

Hi,

I know this is a long shot but we keep getting error -43 (file/folder not found) and we have narrowed it down to it looks like any file with a hyphen in it gets this error and does not get back uped.

Mac OS X Server 10.6.8

Retrospect 6.1.230, Driver 6.1.16.100, Device Access 1.0.107

Backing up from a mounted Windows file share to a USB drive.

Gintzler,

The second paragraph of this Knowledge Base article on error -43 says

This error can also occur if a particular file or folder has an unrecognized character or certain non-english language font types in a file/folder name.

Also, since you are backing up from a mounted Windows file share,  look at the "Illegal Characters in File Names" section on page 111 of the Retrospect Mac 6 User's Guide.

OS X's Samba daemon does clever things to maintain filenames on Windows shares, and you may be falling foul of an unintended consequence. Also worth checking that it actually is an ASCII hyphen and not an en-/em-dash or Unicode hyphen.

What version of SMB/CIFS is the fileserver running? At what stage are you getting the -43 error? Have you tried creating a hyphen-named file using the Win Server's OS/GUI (rather than with a network client) and seeing if that can be backed up?

1 hour ago, Nigel Smith said:

OS X's Samba daemon does clever things to maintain filenames on Windows shares, and you may be falling foul of an unintended consequence. Also worth checking that it actually is an ASCII hyphen and not an en-/em-dash or Unicode hyphen.

What version of SMB/CIFS is the fileserver running? At what stage are you getting the -43 error? Have you tried creating a hyphen-named file using the Win Server's OS/GUI (rather than with a network client) and seeing if that can be backed up?

100% sure its a hyphen. File is being saved from Ai 2020 on macOS 10.14.6 to SMB 2 or higher on the Mac to the mounted Windows fileserver.

The Windows fileserver is being mounted on a Xserve running Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 as AFP. The Widows file server has Acronis File Connect installed so that we can mount the network drives on the Mac running Retrospect because IT wont allow SMB1.

Error occurs when just doing a "Normal backup to"

> Can't read file "Test-File.ai", error -43 (file/folder not found), path "prepress/customer/1x1_size/Test-File.ai"

It will give me this error for any and all files with a hyphen.

screen.jpg

20 hours ago, Gintzler said:

The Widows file server has Acronis File Connect

Files Connect can enforce a filename policy. Is it possible that it's set to disallow hyphens, which Illustrator (connecting over SMB) isn't bound by?

I'm pretty sure if this was a Mac/RS/AFP thing we'd have bumped into it before, but I'll try and test anyway although my v6.1 is on an older OS.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, Nigel Smith said:

Files Connect can enforce a filename policy. Is it possible that it's set to disallow hyphens, which Illustrator (connecting over SMB) isn't bound by?

I'm pretty sure if this was a Mac/RS/AFP thing we'd have bumped into it before, but I'll try and test anyway although my v6.1 is on an older OS.

Okay. I think I know what you are saying. I should ask my IT dept. to see if File Connect has a file policy to not allow hyphens when connecting to a shared folder on a Windows server via AFP? I'm noticing that even if the top level folder has a hyphen in it it won't read it...

Thanks you your help.

Update: IT says Acronis Files Connect File policy is turned OFF...

Edited by Gintzler
Update.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, Nigel Smith said:

Nigel Smith did you have any luck reproducing my problem with hyphens?    

I hadn't tried -- but I have now, and no problems at all.

Folder call "test" containing "test1.txt", "test-2.txt", and "test_3.txt". Shared over AFP from 10.14.6, mounted over AFP on RS v6.1.230 machine running 10.3.9:

1100430131_Screenshot2021-02-01at19_56_12.png.997858a89291c2c23032e8b91d69717b.png

Different RS host OS to you, but you can easily reproduce the test with any Mac and an HFS+ formatted volume to share whole or part of.

22 minutes ago, Nigel Smith said:

I hadn't tried -- but I have now, and no problems at all.

Folder call "test" containing "test1.txt", "test-2.txt", and "test_3.txt". Shared over AFP from 10.14.6, mounted over AFP on RS v6.1.230 machine running 10.3.9:

1100430131_Screenshot2021-02-01at19_56_12.png.997858a89291c2c23032e8b91d69717b.png

Different RS host OS to you, but you can easily reproduce the test with any Mac and an HFS+ formatted volume to share whole or part of.

Thanks. It seems that the problem is that the shares are being mounted via AFP from a Windows file server with Acronis Files Connect. The can not share out SMB1, for security, on the Widows server hence the need for Acronis Files Connect. And IT says no file policies are restricting the server. Hope someone else will chime in. If not, oh well. Thanks anyway.  

Repeat the test I did with your setup, with test files on both the Windows file server and any old Mac -- limit it to a single folder for speed 😉

Then download the RS17 trial onto a newer-OS Mac and repeat the tests from both servers, once using AFP mounting then again using SMB.

You're hoping for both old and new RSs to succeed with the Mac file server, for both old and new RSs to fail with the Win server over AFP, and the new RS to succeed with the Win server of SMB -- that'll pretty much point the finger at the Win Server and/or Acronis, putting the ball firmly in IT's court for further troubleshooting.

13 hours ago, Nigel Smith said:

Repeat the test I did with your setup, with test files on both the Windows file server and any old Mac -- limit it to a single folder for speed 😉

Then download the RS17 trial onto a newer-OS Mac and repeat the tests from both servers, once using AFP mounting then again using SMB.

You're hoping for both old and new RSs to succeed with the Mac file server, for both old and new RSs to fail with the Win server over AFP, and the new RS to succeed with the Win server of SMB -- that'll pretty much point the finger at the Win Server and/or Acronis, putting the ball firmly in IT's court for further troubleshooting.

Okay. This one is out of the Twilight Zone. Monday morning I installed RS v16.1. I can only go to v16.1 because it's on Mac OSX Xserve10.6.8. Didn't set up anything in the program just looked around. Our v6.1 backup runs a 8:10 PM EST time. Looked at the Log this morning and not a single error. Not one! No errors on hyphens! (and I did a test .txt. file right before I left for the day). Not one error on file/folder not found! Not one error on unexpected end of file! I looked back at the Log for the multiple files that would error randomly and not backup. This led me to try and Restore those files and guess what? All those files have now been backed-up properly!  I all of my 25 years in Prepress I've never seen anything like this! I'm not touching anything on the machine even if v16.1 stays there. Even though it's a trail version.

Today is a good day!

1 hour ago, Gintzler said:

I all of my 25 years in Prepress I've never seen anything like this!

I'll let you into a secret -- if I was your IT team I would have probably said "No, there are no characters blocked by Acronis <tippy-tappy-type-fix-config> so try again and see what happens". 😉

More seriously, was there a restart of the backup machine between not working and working? I'm wondering if there might have been a freaky AFP cache problem or multiple mounts of the same share, either of which could be caused by disconnect/recovery and wouldn't be obvious unless you listed /Volumes.

15 minutes ago, Nigel Smith said:

I'll let you into a secret -- if I was your IT team I would have probably said "No, there are no characters blocked by Acronis <tippy-tappy-type-fix-config> so try again and see what happens". 😉

More seriously, was there a restart of the backup machine between not working and working? I'm wondering if there might have been a freaky AFP cache problem or multiple mounts of the same share, either of which could be caused by disconnect/recovery and wouldn't be obvious unless you listed /Volumes.

LOL. IT showed me the config settings in Acronis. They are pretty open. We switched from an Apple File Server in December of 2019 to Windows File Server do to corporate doings. Errors have showed up since switching. Mac where RS sits gets restarted once a month. I know that they did restart Widows File Sever yesterday because of other problems. Only thing now when I open RS v6.1 is that I get the following screen capture warning. But if my daily log shows no errors each day going forward I'm good. Fingers crossed.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.34.45 AM.png

23 hours ago, Gintzler said:

Day 2 and not a single error. Not even files with hyphens in it. Excelsior! 

Glad it's working. I'm still going to blame the Win Server rather than RS -- for no better reason than bitter experiences with Windows servers 😉. A good test, next time it happens, would be to request the server be restarted without you doing anything to the RS installation.

And do you still have "two mounted disks named prepress", as per the previous warning? Might explain it... If so, unmount them all (may be easiest to just restart the RS Server machine), mount the volume (I'm assuming you do that manually. And check with "ls -l /Volumes" in Terminal, making sure "prepress" is listed only once), and run the script again.

Don't get the "two mounted disk" warning since I unmounted our Xserve RIAD that was set up as the same as the mounted Windows file share. I shut the Xserve RIAD completely down since it is no longer in use. Probably should have done that sooner.

Restarted RS machine. Re-ran script and no errors.  Thanks for your suggestions. Stay tuned... LOL

• 2 weeks later...