Retrospect 7.7: Recovery with backup-media

mcmeini

Dear forum members!

I have a problem with Retrospect 7.7 Professional, which I use several years and never needed it really to recover data, because I have a RAID mirror with 2 disks in my desktop computer.

In December 2020, one hard disk in the desktop computer failed and have completely destroyed. Then I ordered a new one to replace the destroyed hard disk to have the mirror again. But then the corona lockdown in Austria came and since then I couldn't buy a hard disk at my local shop. I thought the remain hard disk will not give up until I get the new one, but today it does.

Now I tried to use my notebook to build up the backup-set with the backup-media, build-up catalog.GIF

but retrospect couldn't find any file on the backup-media (external USB 3 hard disk). When I open the external backup hard-disk, it seems that there are no files in the "Retrospect" folder (see attached picture).

1043948693_recoverybackup-set.GIF.e6cc6cff8c30f44727588eaceb2b79c2.GIF

I have two backup-media, one for odd weeks and one for even weeks, but with no one I can build up the catalog file. I do every week with one media a normal backup.

Because I wanted to be prepared for this case that both hard disks give up, I checked the week before with retrospect function "verify media" if both external backup-media are allright and retrospect doesn't found any error.

Do someone know what I do wrong or why it doesn't work?

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, Lennart_T said:

It might be that you are one folder level too deep. Go up one level, so "1-Daten Wochentlich-Ung" is in the (now) empty list. Select it and then click "OK" (not "Öffnen").

Thank you very much. That was the error.

Funny that retrospect doesn't say the user which level of the hard disk it needs.

Thank you so much.

• Thanks 1

mcmeini,

What I've called the squeaky-clean approach to locating Members of a Backup Set—which you've evidently now followed and which Lennart_T understands—is described in the second paragraph of this post in a Retrospect Mac 9+ Forums thread.  Just ignore what I said about the zero-byte "marker" file; further experiments per the first paragraph of this post further down that thread showed that the "marker" file has only a very restricted purpose.  That purpose is to exclude destination Members from a Backup or Duplicate operation; they should be copied with Transfer operations. 

That post further down that thread, and the post below it, describes non-squeaky-clean approaches which my experiments show administrators can use for Member destination positioning.  It's unfortunate Retrospect Inc. never put a thorough explanation into the User's Guides.

BTW, Lennart_T, how many languages do you speak?  I'm impressed. 😀

8 hours ago, mcmeini said:

Thank you so much.

My pleasure. :) 

Off topic:

Swedish is my native language, I know English quite well (including SOME differences between British English and American English) and I studied German in (elementary and high) school for five years in the seventies. But since I don't practice German on a regular basis, I have forgotten most of it. :) 

Oh, I made a business trip to Paris (France, not Texas ;) ) in 2000 so I learned to SAY two sentences in French: "I don't understand. Do you speak English?" But DON'T ask me to SPELL it in French. :)