x509

Massive number of "bad backup set header" messages

I just tried to retrieve some files from my 2019 Media Library dataset and got all these error messages in the logfile.  The logfile was 1375 lines total, and the activity monitor shows 1358 errors, no warnings.

image.thumb.png.9173b4a190516f32a263d3766c36f761.png

I'm running Retrospect Pro 16.1.1.102 on Win 10 Pro 64.  My backup drive is internal SATA 6G.

What could have caused all these messages.  Just the other day, I ran the built-in Windows "defrag" command, and it ran normally. 

• Could this operation have screwed up the dataset? 
  • How can I test my other datasets? 
  • Can this dataset be repaired, or do I need to create a new 2019 Media Library backup dataset?

Fortunately, I can retrieve the files I need from my 2018 backup volume, but these messages have really scared me.

Edited by x509
typos and additional information

24 minutes ago, x509 said:

Could this operation have screwed up the dataset? 

Yes, it could but not likely by itself. It looks like you have a hard disk problem, since some files can't be read properly. Test the hard drive, including a surface scan.

29 minutes ago, x509 said:

How can I test my other datasets? 

Page 459, "Verifying Backup Set Media"

http://download.retrospect.com/docs/win/v16/user_guide/Retrospect_Win_User_Guide-EN.pdf

30 minutes ago, x509 said:

Can this dataset be repaired, or do I need to create a new 2019 Media Library backup dataset?

Maybe you can.

Page 454 in the above user guide: "Recreating a Catalog"

Lennart,

Thanks.  I'm running a disk surface test right now.  My backup drive is 6 TB, and the test will need another 8+ hours to complete.  I'm going to let the computer run overnight.

Update.  Surface test showed drive had zero surface defects.

The Verify Media operation on my 2019 Media Library dataset just completed, after almost 3 hours.  There were many errors.  Here is a sample:

image.png.552b5cb46453ddc8d2ab35031d6ca904.png

Next step is to recreate the dataset from files, and then verify again.  I also want to verify six other datasets, which I have started and then paused.  Those operations will take another five hours in total.  However, in about 15 minutes, we are leaving for a vacation, so I have to hibernate this system.  I'll complete all this week after we get back,and I'll post an update.

Again, appreciation to Lennart.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, x509 said:

Update.  Surface test showed drive had zero surface defects.

Surface test only checks "usable" disk space -- it doesn't include bad sectors that have already been mapped out. So it's probable that the "missing" files were on a bad sector that has already been "fixed" by Windows. Possibly, given the numbers involved, a problem in whatever is NTFS's equivalent of the file allocation table. You can check by viewing the SMART data for the drive, which will tell you how many sectors have already been re-allocated.