Advice on migrating data from Mac to Windows

Hi,

I use Pegasus RAID formatted HFS on a mac and would like to migrate about 3tb of data back onto the drive after formatting it as NTFS for use on an new windows machine. I use Retrospect 13.5 on a mac.

Any tips or suggestions for a fast and reliable method to rehome the data with verify would be much appreciated.

Is verify even reliable when changing formats?

I was thinking about using retrospect to 'copy' the data either via direct connection and smb or formatting an external hard drive as exfat. I'm not sure whether exfat will be a sensible thing or also whether I would need a windows retrospect license for this.

Would appreciate and suggestions or advice on the matter.

• Like 2

I would:

Use a temporary drive for storage, formatted exFAT.

Using the Finder, copy the Retrospect folder to the temporary drive (using a Mac). If you need verify, use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Connect both drives to the Windows machine.

Reformat the RAID with NTFS.

Copy the Retrospect folder from the temporary drive to the RAID.

In Retrospect, perform a "Recreate from Disk" operation to recreate the catalog file. That way you also verify the media set (called backup set on Windows).

You should not use exFAT for long term use. It is much less forgiving against trouble than HFS+ and NTFS. Trouble, such as a power outage in the middle of a file operation.

• Like 1

You should not use exFAT for long term use. It is much less forgiving against trouble than HFS+ and NTFS. Trouble, such as a power outage in the middle of a file operation.

I hear this a lot regarding exFAT. I understand the risk is there because of the lack of journaling if there is a connection dropout. As long as that doesn't happen is it generally reliable and would I be able to create a media set on an exFAT drive to directly make a backup to? Only while migrating data one time and not for long term use.

• 1 month later...