System died, did restore, now Retrospect doesn't recognize client

CasaDelGato

Using Restrospect 9.5.

On one of my systems the boot drive failed.
I bought a new drive, installed Win 7, installed the Restrospect Client.

System name and boot drive name are the same as the old system.
I was able to do a Snapshot restore to the system - with some difficulty in getting it to FIND the system and drive.

(Also, it failed on some files from the OS - leaving the system in a broken state.  I had to then to a Win 7 Install Upgrade to fix it, which took several hours.)

Now when I go to the Clients dialog and select that client, Restrospect spends some time searching for it - and fails.

When I go to the Volumes list, it now has BOTH the old and new Volumes for that client - even though they have the exact same name.

So, how do I get Restrospect to believe that the newly restored system IS the old system?  I don't want to delete the client definition and re-add it, as it seems like it would then loose the connection to all the old backups for that system.

• Like 1

Before doing the restore, you must have the same version of Windows, down to the same updates. Apparently you did the updates afterwards to get a running system. While that isn't recommended, it seems as your system is up and running anyway.

Since it is indeed another hard drive, Retrospect (correctly) sees them as different drives. For all Retrospect "knows", you could put back the old drive tomorrow.

Since the old drive is broken, you can tell Retrospect not to use it. Go to Configure-->Volumes and forget both drives with the same name. Then go to Configure-->Clients and open that particular client. Now it will find the new drive and (re-)add that to the volumes list.

Retrospect will not backup all files again, it will just backup new and changed files. Since you have made a Windows installation and Windows updates, there are many Windows files that are not the same as the files on the old drives. These will be backed up again. (Windows Update will give the updated files new dates, for instance).