Freeing up space for the backup set?

LRSFC_DanJ

We have Retrospect 9.5.3 running on a Windows server with an 8TB RAID array for the backup set, and 11.5 Mac clients.

Recently the backup set became full up, so we're looking at ways to remove old backups to free up space.

We've tried the process described here: http://www.retrospect.com/uk/support/kb/disk-backup-set-grooming-with-retrospect_7

However this does not seem to have had any effect? It seems to be doing something - the status updates variously to "Matching Backup Set" or "Analysing Catalog File" but no space is being freed up.

The server is running Windows Server 2012 R2, with a Xeon E3-1220v3 3.1GHz CPU and 16GB RAM.

Can anyone suggest what we need to do differently?

Thanks,

Dan Jackson (Lead ITServices Technician)

Long Road Sixth Form College

Cambridge, UK.

However this does not seem to have had any effect? It seems to be doing something - the status updates variously to "Matching Backup Set" or "Analysing Catalog File" but no space is being freed up.

That means the Retrospect is preparing to actually free up some space. It can take many hours depending on the number of files backed up, the speed of the Retrospect server, the speed of the disk where the catalog file is stored and the amount of RAM in the Retrospect server.

I hope you did not interrupt the process. If you did, you have to start over.

Tip: Schedule a groom script that runs at a time of low activity. Maybe starting early Saturday morning.

That means the Retrospect is preparing to actually free up some space. It can take many hours depending on the number of files backed up, the speed of the Retrospect server, the speed of the disk where the catalog file is stored and the amount of RAM in the Retrospect server.

I hope you did not interrupt the process. If you did, you have to start over.

Tip: Schedule a groom script that runs at a time of low activity. Maybe starting early Saturday morning.

We can't actually do any backups at the moment as Retrospect reports there's no free space to back up to, so I pressed the button that pauses scheduled executions before starting the procedure.

I mentioned some of the server specs in my opening post. The disk where the catalog file is stored is a 7200rpm SATA drive, and the disks in the RAID array are also all 7200rpm SATA drives.

We need to get some space freed up urgently so that we can resume backing up our Mac clients.

EDIT: apparently we need to recreate our backup set's catalog file. I'll try that.

EDIT: apparently we need to recreate our backup set's catalog file. I'll try that.

OK, that's a good start. :)

Before starting the grooming again, check the groom settings of the backup set. Note that it is the number of backups to retain (and NOT the number of days). Well, the exception is the Retrospect predefined setting, which is a special case.

Then compare this number of backups to retain with the number of backups made. If the number of backups made is lower than the number to retain, nothing will be groomed out.

It seems as your server is a fast one, with plenty of RAM. :)