multi-server 10.5 and single LTO with iSCSI

blm14

So my current setup is that I have a quantum L700 DLT-S4 and a 12TB locally attached RAID on a single server backing up several clients. We long ago virtualized every other server but this one, and the server is starting to show its age.

What I want to do is create a new VMWare host for retrospect, and use our NetAPP for the disk sets and then connect to a tape drive via iSCSI, but it appears that the list of devices that retrospect supports has not been updated in some time (or possibly I am looking in the wrong place):

http://www.retrospect.com/en/devices?utf8=%E2%9C%93&manufacturers=&interfaces=iSCSI&media_types=Tape+Library&commit=Search

Are there are single-tape LTO-6 or LTO-7 drives that retrospect supports, connecting via iSCSI? I don't have the funds (or the business need) to purchase a multi-tens-of-thousands-of-dollar tape library that is anyways using tapes whose capacities are smaller than the S4's that I am using now...

As an aside - does retrospect support the use of AWS's Storage Gateway, which can emulate a virtual tape library over iSCSI? 

TIA!

If you can connect to tape drive to the VMware host it is possible you could use SCSI passthrough to connect the drive to the VM.

The following VMware KB article gives details: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

In the past I managed to get a SCSI DAT drive to work with a WMware Workstation VM using SCSI passthrough.