Restrospect Multiserveur 7.7 - Diminution performances de sauvegarde

fafa63

Bonjour,

Utilisateur depuis plus de 10 ans des solutions Restrospect au sein de mon entreprise j'ai constaté une baisse des performances des sauvegardes sans pouvoir me l'expliquer.

Utilisation d'un Retrospect Multiserveur 7.7

Sauvegarde sur bandes HP LTO-4 Ultrium (1.6 TB)

Lors de la primo installation du serveur, avec toutes ses données, je constatais des performances de sauvegarde avoisinant les 4000 à 4500 Mo/min.

Le temps passant ces performances se sont doucement dégradées pour atteindre désormais, et dans certains cas les 1500 Mo/min.

Y-a-t-il des pistes de solutions/explications à explorer pour tenter d'améliorer ces performances ? (côté logiciel, côté serveurs...)

Deuxièmenent :

Effectuant des sauvegardes sur bande, je suppose que, de part leur fonctionnement, si le débit de sauvegarde chute une plus grande quantité de bande est consommée pour une même quantité de données à sauvegarder ? Donc, il y a de plus grandes chances d'atteindre le maximum de capacité des bandes ?

Merci d'avance pour vos conceils.

• Like 1

Google Translate:

Hello,

User for over 10 years Retrospect solutions within my company I noticed a drop in performance backups without being able to explain to me.

Using a Retrospect 7.7 Multiserver

Tape backup HP LTO-4 Ultrium (1.6 TB)

When the primary server installation, with all its data, I noticed backup performance of around 4,000 to 4,500 MB / min.

Over time the performance has degraded slowly to reach now, and in some cases 1500 MB / min.

Y-he has possible solutions / explanations to explore to try to improve performance? (Software side, side servers ...)

Deuxièmenent:

Performing tape backups, I guess, by their operation, if the backup flow drops greater amount of tape is consumed for the same amount of data to back up? So there is a better chance to reach the maximum capacity of the tapes?

Thank you in advance for your conceils.

For the past 10 years, the number of small files has increased dramatically. The operating systems now contains hundreds of thousands of files. Many small files takes more time to backup than fewer larger files, with the same number of bytes in total.

What you can do is running disk to disk to tape. Backup to disk backup sets. Then transfer from those backup sets to tape. We have been doing that for years.

Hello,

Thanks for your help and this exemple of solution.

On the other hand that seems that we need a lot of space on the server :-) but it's a good proposition.

I asking me an other question : is the fragmentation of the disk of the server could explain this low performance with the time ? (serveur with RAID5 technology)

Anytime a disk is fragmented the performance will be reduced, so it is very likely that the fragmentation is causing the performance drop.  Depending on the Server OS you might want to set up an automatic task that defrags the drive, once a week or what time frame you think is appropriate.  I would also try running disk cleanup on the drive as well to eliminate files that are no longer needed such as temp files, Windows Update files, etc.