Retro 8.2 Win Proactive Backup 1 Client 2 BackupSets

I  want to ProActively backing up 15 laptops with Server 8.2 win. We want to backup some user data folders and keep that data for a reasonable period. We also need to backup Pop Email PST files, given that these can be large and change daily, but contain the full history,  we want to put these in a separate Backupset with a short retention, probably only 2 or 3 backups, to conserve space.

This will require two ProActive scripts to identify each data type and direct it to the appropriate backupsets.

I tried setting up a test of this, with both scripts active continuously. One script ran successfully, the other doesn't seem to run at all.

If both scripts are active at the same time, should Retrospect gracefully manage things?

• Like 1

Update on this.

After a bit if fiddling and restarting everything my test rig ran happily and the two scripts using the same client as source worked beautifully, separating the two types of data into the two backups sets.

I then configured the production site using the same concept. but here it is slightly more complex.

I have organised the users in to two Source Groups, "Office" & "Surveyors" to cater for different client availability patterns.

I have created Four Proactive scripts, "Office-Data" and "Office-EMail", with a source of Office and Dest of the respective Data & Email BackupSets, likewise for "Surveyors"

I have installed all the client software with certificates, and they have been recognised and added to the "Backup Clients" icon,and the"Automatically Added Clients" Source Group

I am waiting for the customer to tell me who should be placed in the respective groups.

All Clients are in AutoAddedGroup, I have copied an alias of one Client to the Office group

The results were not quite what I was expecting

Looking at the Sources in Proactive Backup Monitor, ALL the clients show up 4 times in the list under each of the four scripts, waiting to backup ASAP????

Since there are no Clients in Surveyors, and only one client in Office I was expecting to see only two items in the Sources, the Office Client for each of the two Office scripts.

I conclude that with clients in the automatically added group, other groups are ignored.

I tried to MOVE a client from Automatically added, to the Office group, but it only COPIED an alias, leaving the original behind in the AutoAdded group.

What is going on here, can anyone explain?

How would I achieve the objective explained above.

I'm not familiar with the "autoaddedgroup" function.  What I do know is that when a backup "source group" gets created tech support has instructed me to delete the "source groups container" object that will show in that new source group.

I am accustomed to creating Source Groups and then manually dragging  Subvolumes I've created from the Backup Clients higher up in the Volumes Database window to the Source Group(s) I want it in.  I have generally not had the "ASAP" problem with this practice. 

I dunno if this helps you but I'm throwing it in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With a bit of help from support and some experimentation I found what is happening here.

It stems from a natural assumption that turns out not to be true. Possibly it's a mistake a windows user might make, and a Mac user might not.

Faced with a pre-defined parent Object of "Source Groups" what would you do if wanted to create a new group?

I right click the parent object and select New Source Group on the assumption that New Source Group is a function of Source Groups.

Not Necessary.

You can right click ANYWHERE in the Volumes Database window, empty space, objects, whatever, and the menu has New Source Group.

Selecting this will create a New Source Group CONTAINING THE CURRENTLY SELECTED OBJECT, be that a volume, client, folder, source group, whatever.

So my instinctive action of always selecting the parent Source Groups Object, creates a new Source Group CONTAINING the Parent Source Group Object.

THUS, all My Source Groups contained EVERY Source Group.

SO

What you SHOULD do is select the first object you intend to have as a member of your group, probably a client, THEN create the Group, and all will be well.

You Live and learn!