Error 1002

I am in a big rush to get a file out of an old Retrospect Express backup. Unbelievably, both computers that had that software have had their motherboards die. Fortunately, I had a backup on an external drive.

So...I have rebuilt the backup using Retrospect 10, and am trying to now restore a few files from that old backup.

When I run restore...getting the backup from my external drive and saving to my laptop, I get this error:

Executing Restore Assistant - 2/9/13 4:36 PM at 2/9/13

To volume Macintosh HD...

- 2/9/13 4:41:44 PM: Restoring from JonEvanDailyBU, Snapshot JonEvan, 2/16/12 9:00:13 PM

MapError: unknown Mac error 45

TMacFolderLoc::Create: UCreateDirectory failed, /Volumes/Macintosh HD/net/Users, oserr 45, error -1002

!Trouble writing folder "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/net/Users", error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)

2/9/13 4:43:23 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 3.4 MB

Completed: 0 files, 0 B

Performance: 0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:01:38 (00:01:38 idle/loading/preparing)

I don't know what to do...but I really need to get the file from the backup to my laptop ASAP today (Saturday), and Customer Service is out until Monday. Please help!

Thank you in advance,

Keith

• Like 1

Thank you, Lennart. I Googled a few different ways and finally determined it had something to do with writing permissions...either for Retrospect or one or more of my drives. Changed the permissions on all of them, and now it works, sort of. Seems to work once, then need to re-start my computer for it to work again, once. Haven't had the time to get that figured out...whether it's me or Retrospect...but at least I got the file I needed. Would be fantastically helpful, if the error message is generated by Retrospect, to spell out what the error is caused by (permissions) since it seems to be spelled out on the Internet, with some digging...

MapError: unknown Mac error 45

TMacFolderLoc::Create: UCreateDirectory failed, /Volumes/Macintosh HD/net/Users, oserr 45, error -1002

Are you sure it is "45" and not "-45"? ( Maybe it's retrospect that messes up the sign? )

Thank you, Lennart. I Googled a few different ways and finally determined it had something to do with writing permissions...either for Retrospect or one or more of my drives. Changed the permissions on all of them, and now it works, sort of. Seems to work once, then need to re-start my computer for it to work again, once. Haven't had the time to get that figured out...whether it's me or Retrospect...but at least I got the file I needed. Would be fantastically helpful, if the error message is generated by Retrospect, to spell out what the error is caused by (permissions) since it seems to be spelled out on the Internet, with some digging...

The error code is probably returned by the OS and is probably -45:

http://www.opensourc...8.1/MacErrors.h

fLckdErr = -45 /*file is locked*/

So you can probably restore once, but can't overwrite the previously restored (or already existing) file.

As you see in the MacErrors file, there are thousands of error codes. Hundreds if you "only" count the ones that has any relevance to accessing files/folders/volumes.