Cannot Install or Deinstall Retrospect 10 on a working client

One of my computers, a MacBook Air (Accidentally updated to server a while ago) was updated from the old client to the new client and all worked well. Backups from a headless MacOS 10.8.2 server 10.0.1 are working fine. In order to be able to control the headless server from my MacBook air, I attempted to install the Retrospect app on it. (Did have the EMC retrospect 8 app on it previously which I had manually removed from the applications folder.) The first attempt, 10.0.1 installed and placed the other files in the Applications/Retrospect folder (client installers, client update, etc.) but the Application itself was an open window and was blank with a spinning beach ball. After about 15 minutes did a force quit. Went to reboot the MacBook air and it would not completely shut down so after 10 minutes forced a restart. After restarting, attempted to remove Retrospect using the Uninstall script and it failed. Took the Applications/retrospect folder and put it in the trash. I could not empty the trash so rebooted the machine again. Then the trash emptied.

Another attempt to install the application after dragging it into the applications folder and clicking the icon, the app started and again the spinning beach ball. But this time none of the other files in the retrospect directory appeared.

Backups of this as a client appear to be working but I would like to be able to use this to control retrospect without having to revert to VNC. Am comfortable with terminal. Are there specific files which I should delete manually?

BTW, permissions check and disk verification passed without errors. I also installed the app on an iMac 10.8.2 server which is a client to the same 10.0.1 retrospect engine residing on the headless server without a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 2

If Retrospect Engine is already installed on the MacOS 10.8.2 server and you want to manage it from your MacBook Air, all you need to do is dragging Retrospect (Console) app to your Applications folder. No need to run the installer (which would install all the parts for Retrospect Engine).

Retrospect Console saves preferences as either:

- /Users/your_user_name_here/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.Retrospect.plist

- /Users/your_user_name_here/Library/Preferences/com.retrospect.Retrospect.plist

To get a fresh Console state, you can move away or delete such files before running Retrospect Console.

In Retrospect Console's UI, the bottom bar lets you add Retrospect Engine(s) to manage.

• Like 1