Retrospect 9 — Future Updates

I've just been told, upon dealing with Retrospect Support on an issue I've been having with Proactive Backups (which was the results of a bug in the software) that there will be no future updates to Retrospect 9, but the bug would be corrected in Retrospect 10. Very disappointing since I bought Retrospect 9 less than a year ago and have never received a single software update to fix any of the numerous bugs I've discovered/reported to Retrospect Support (even though I was told they'd be addressed in a later update—no, not UPGRADE, but UPDATE).

How did they justify leaving us Mac users in the dark for years while their software became unsupported all around us? Only then to be replaced by Retrospect 8, which was completely broken, and couldn't do anything with the v6 catalogs they'd left to rot?

How did they justify shipping an incomplete v8 user manual with v9? And then ship that same incomplete v8 manual with v10?

How did they justify the bug-riddled shipment of v8, which was replaced by a bug-riddled shipment of v9?

How did they justify buttons in the software which do absolutely nothing?

How did they justify the release of only two incremental updates to v9 and then, within a year, completely abandoning the software, leaving it completely unstable and instead focusing on the development of v10?

They don't have to justify anything, they're Retrospect. They think they have their users by the balls. They're mistaken.

The only excuse I've gotten out of them for the shit quality of their software over the past few years was that it was difficult times with the company being bought and sold and bought and sold. And that now that they'd regained control of the company, things would be better, things would be improved. Well, the only thing I see is yet another release of the same crap software and a nice, fat price tag.

Rather than abandoning the mess that was v9 to focus on v10, they should have spent the time fixing what was broken in v9 and released a few substantial updates so we could reliably run the software—software that's supposed to be made for backing up mission critical data. But, instead, the rushed yet another version of their software out the door, as crap as the one that came before it, holding out their hands waiting for users to hand over their hard earned.

I'll ride out v9 as long as I can—I have almost a decade of data locked into various versions of Retrospect, and am now running three different Retrospect servers to go along with it all. But, once my clients are no longer supported by v9, it'll be the end of an era. And I will not be upset when I see quickly forgotten blog posts of a once-popular backup software company that's gone bankrupt.