Upgrade from Retrospect 7.6 to 8?

lunadesign

I'm not an expert, nor am I affiliated with Retrospect, just a long-time user. I believe you can safely upgrade from any minor version of 7.x to 8.0. The installers are pretty smart and will tell you if anything is out of order.

If you have clients, don't forget to upgrade the Retrospect Client too.

Mike Hummel

I was just about to upgrade from Retrospect 7.6 to 7.7 and see that Retrospect 8 is now out. Is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.6 to 8 while retaining my backup data and configurations? Or are there special steps I need to follow?

Upgrading Retrospect Professional from 7.7 to 8 has worked for me. Just to be on the safe side I did backup my Backup Sets and configuration before the upgrade just in case something went wrong.

I have not upgraded any client licenses though because of the increased number of included client licenses.

Hope this is helpfull.

I've gone through two site upgrades. I've discovered that there may be some incompatibilities with the 7.7 created catalog files as there were times Retrospect would crash upon initiating a groom. I recreated the catalog files under 8 and that seemed to resolve the issue. Occasionally, I would get a crash when performing a basic backup and recycling the backups seems to help also. However, the more reading I do on the forums, the more I'm seeing it might be due to the instant scan.

Additionally, when I performed my first upgrade, I had issues with licensing Exchange. It would take a while to license, then indicated it wasn't licensed. I contacted support and worked with Carly Begley. We performed several days of troubleshooting when the final answer was quite simple. Apparently, their Exchange expert was out the whole week on Thanksgiving vacation. This seems absurd when they just released a pseudo production release of their beta of Retrospect 8. Anywho, I digress. I found out the following week, that .Net 4.0 needed to be installed on the Exchange server. I installed it, removed the client, added it back, Exchange licensed properly. I've been getting good backups since. No where in their documentation do they say .Net 4.0 needs to be installed nor does the client indicate it needs to be installed. I pointed this out to Carly Begley.

Again, I'll have backups fail occasionally, and have been installing .Net 4.0 on those clients. I asked Carly Begley if .Net 4.0 should be installed as a standard, but she hasn't responded. This was from last week. I've sent her an email every day this week, but still no response. She must be on vacation since the Exchange guy was out all last week. Anywho, there are times when I've performed a client upgrade and I'm unable to connect to resources like SQL. I've had to uninstalled the client, delete the Retrospect configuration folder (in All Users > Application Data within Pre-2008 and in programdata off the system volume in 2008, Win7 and Vista (?)), restart and reinstall. That cleared things up.

There's probably more, but, as a beta tester, I haven't come across it yet.