Network backup for Retrospect 10

i'm confused.

george76, we have a mac (A) and a windows box ( B ). to which machine is the storage actually attached? which machine is running the retrospect engine?

it sounds to me like you are saying that the storage is attached to B but is accessed over the network from A via SMB protocol. retrospect is running on A and you want to use the storage on B for backups.

lennart, is this your understanding?

if my understanding is correct, i don't see what retrospect client has to do with this... you first add a network source (in retrospect's confusing terminology) either by browsing for it or by using the "add source directly..." button. i've done this for mac (afp) network shares, but have not had occasion recently to try it with windows (smb), but i think it works the same. once added, retrospect sees the remote volume and the interface treats it pretty much the same as any other (attached) drive. that is, it can be used as a backup destination either by creating a new mediaset or adding new member(s) to an existing media set that resides on that drive.

i think it is easy to get confused by the requirement that the drive be added as a source. intuitively, adding it as a "source" implies that you are going to back it up rather than that you are going use it for storing a backup (i.e. a media set). that intuition is reenforced by the fact that all of the other drives and clients that you backup appear in the list of sources. however that's not how retrospect uses the term. to retrospect a "source" is just a volume that can be something you backup or something you use to store a backup.