Name/SN/login conflict deteced (-525)

I replaced a Mac mini with a new Mac mini.

The new mini has the same name as the old mini, but I did not copy anything from the old mini.

No Time Machine or Retrospect restore, no migration assistant.

It's just a clean install. The only difference is that I'm now running 10.8.2 instead of 10.7.5.

Finally I installed the Retrospect client and entered the same password I used on the old mini.

Now I want to backup the new mini, but the new mini is not recognized and backup jobs fail.

When I try to add the new mini as a new source to Retrospect via the "Add Source Directly..." button, I can enter the IP address (the same as the old mini) and the password (also the same).

Then I get the message Name/SN/login conflict deteced (-525).

What can I do tell Retrospect that I just changed the hardware, without redefining the backup jobs for this computer?

But if I do that, I will lose all settings from this Mac in my scripts.

And I would like to preserve those.

What is "this Mac" in this context?

I mean, they have nothing in common (except the brand name "Apple").

If you use tags, give both computers the same tag. (Tags replaces "source groups" from previous versions). Use the tag as the source. See chapter 3 in the User's Guide.

The new mini has the same software and functions as the old mini.

But it's a clean install on a new piece of hardware.

And it has all the same favorites that are used in different scripts.

That is why I want to replace the old mini with the new mini in Retrospect.

(By the way: the old mini is gone. It's sold and is living a new live.)

But if I do that, I will lose all settings from this Mac in my scripts.

And I would like to preserve those.

Unfortunately, there's no way to preserve script or favorite folder settings associated with the old computer because, as you have discovered, Retrospect knows that your new mini is not the same machine. You will need to recreate these manually.

This is actually a Good Thing, as being able to distinguish among your various sources is an important part of Retrospect's ability to ensure data integrity.

As Lennart notes, a way to partially avoid this problem in the future is to uses Tags as sources in your scripts instead of specific volumes, favorite folders, etc. However, you will always need to create new favorite folders in the Sources list for any new source, even if that new source is essentially the same as one of your old sources.