"An error occurred" while trying to rebuild Retrospect 6 backup set

I'm trying to rebuild my Retrospect 6 backup sets so that I can access them in Retrospect 9. These old sets are on LTO-3 tape media that I access via a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with 16 tape slots and an LTO-5 drive. I'm using an Xserve running OS X Server 10.6.8. I've seen the directions in the Read Me file for Retrospect 9, but it doesn't specifically address how it works for tapes. Here's what I've tried:

1) Create a new Media Set

2) Click on Rebuild

3) It asks what type of media set I'd like to rebuild. I choose Tape, Removable, or Optical and click Next...

4) At this point it says Select a device. I cannot directly select the set members at this point. I can see them in the tape library, but I can only select one at a time, and even when I select just one, the Next... button remains greyed out. So what does it mean for me to select? I've tried selecting the top level device "Quantum Library", the drive itself "Quantum Ultrium 5 DC", the slot in that drive (currently empty), and the tape library "Library slots 1to 16". I'll attach a screenshot that shows exactly what I just described...

post-26356-0-44680500-1350934642_thumb.png

5) It then asks me to select a folder for the new Catalog. I select a location, but no matter which choice I made in step 4, when I press Rebuild I immediately get an error stating "An error occurred".

I don't know what I'm missing. Can anyone help here? I'll gladly provide more information if needed...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also have this problem - I have downloaded a trial version of Retrospect 10 and trying to rebuild a tape last used in Retrospect 6 - whenever I select a folder (any folder that is) to save the 'new catalog' I get the error

We have been contacting Retrospect Support for the past week without any success to resolve this

• 3 weeks later...

I too am trying to rebuild a Retro 6 catalog of over 300 CDs and DVDs with Retro 10 on a Mac, and the Mac is spitting out the media with an "unreadable" error, It's a Mac Pro Quad Core Xeon with an Apple Super Drive. Any suggestions?

Try another optical drive. Not all drives "likes" all media.