Myriad errors during backup with grooming, OS 10.8.2

Updated to Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Retrospect incremental backup succeeded.

The next workday, I groomed a different backup set, hoping to avoid grooming during the anticipated backup to that set. After the grooming succeeded, I started the backup. Turns out grooming before didn't free up enough space, so grooming was again necessary during the backup, which failed with myriad errors, as noted below.

Can anyone help me make heads or tails of this?

The backup set's volume is NOT write protected, and I've completed several previous incremental backups and groomings without a problem.

Looks like I have to wipe the volume and start a backup from scratch?

Thanks.

post-1601-0-99536900-1348625859_thumb.png

• Like 1

Do you have the catalog file on the same volume as the data files? That is not recommended. Grooming occurs when the volume runs out of space and if there is no space to update the catalog file you are hosed. I think that is what started your problem here. The other errors you see are "only" consequences of the first error/problem.

Create a separate partition for the catalog file (best) or set the Media set to use only 90% (or so) of the volume.

Hello Lennart:

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yes, I did have the catalog file on the same volume as the data files. However, the Media Set was set to use only 90% of the volume. Maybe the catalog got too big for that extra 10%. I'll save the catalog somewhere else instead from now on.

2 (actually 3) questions:

Is there a way to "move" the catalog from the backup set's volume to another volume?

Is there any way to change the setting for the % of the volume used by the Media Set? Or do I need to create a new Media Set and start the backup over again from scratch?

Thanks again.

Edited by amkassir

Is there a way to "move" the catalog from the backup set's volume to another volume?

From the Retro 8 User's Guide: "If you copied your Catalog files from backups, you must get Retrospect to recognize them. From the Media Sets category, click Locate, navigate to the location of the Catalog file, and click OK to add the catalog to the list of available Media Sets."

Is there any way to change the setting for the % of the volume used by the Media Set?

post-8868-0-27390700-1348644165_thumb.png