Verify error, "...does not match stored MD5 digest"

I get the following error. Any ideas of what it might be? Happens while every time Retro verifies the backup. Seems it's now up to four instances where this file is not being matched.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "/Volumes/Mac Mini HD/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs/USB_Pool_Maxtor300.rbc" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "/Volumes/Mac Mini HD/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs/USB_Pool_Maxtor300.rbc" does not match stored MD5 digest.

That's probably it. The file is modified every time a weekly backup runs. Verify is done two days later and the backup may have run twice. I guess that verification as a separate step is probably a bad idea in that case. Can you suggest other effective ways of reducing the time taken for backups or should I live with this error?

Can you suggest other effective ways of reducing the time taken for backups or should I live with this error?

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

(3) complete version number of the OS

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

(6) complete description of the problem

And my own questions: What kind of media sets are you using? What kind of backups are you running?

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

And my own questions: What kind of media sets are you using? What kind of backups are you running?

1-4 are always there in my signature line on each post. I make every effort to keep that current. Did you look at that?

As to the steps, this is a long standing script, the error was posted.

The backups are the type Normal Backups by Rule (copying a portion of the files as specified in a rule), all media sets are to HD media, in this case, a bare removable SATA II drive (300GB), one of a group of four, backing up a specific set of files. The group of catalog files located in the default location on the startup drive. The error log is from a verify separate script and done later, after the backup was completed.

1-4 are always there in my signature line on each post. I make every effort to keep that current. Did you look at that?

As to the steps, this is a long standing script, the error was posted.

The backups are the type Normal Backups by Rule (copying a portion of the files as specified in a rule), all media sets are to HD media, in this case, a bare removable SATA II drive (300GB), one of a group of four, backing up a specific set of files. The group of catalog files located in the default location on the startup drive. The error log is from a verify separate script and done later, after the backup was completed.

Yes, I saw your signature. I didn't know how current it was. And it doesn't say anything about your network, for instance. Fully switched gigabit network? Or wireless? Or something in between?

I want to go back to (5). You haven't given any details. For example: How many files are in the media set? How many files are backed up? How many bytes are backed up? In how long time? How many files are on each client's source?

• 1 month later...

I have pretty similar problems as henry:

-----------------

Enviroment-Specs:

1) complete version number of Retrospect

Please explain this I dont understand this.

- Retrospect is running on Windows Server Standard SP 2 32-Bit

- The machine is quite old: Pentium 4 3.Ghz with 2 GB Ram

- There are 52 clients, either Windos XP, Windows 7, Mac OS Snow Leopard, Mac OS Lion, Mac OS Mountain Lion

As Media Set there is a NAS from Synology in RAID5 Config total Capacity 7.14 TB

The clients sources are set to: Selected Volumes

There are folders defined as subvolumes of a physical harddrive: Usually Desktop, MyDocuments, Email client

Some Clients have an additional directory defined with important stuff.

There is the proactive Backup going.

We use Retrospect to make client backup within our institute.

There are 5 different locations

Each LAN is 100 MBit / Fully Switched

-----------------

Some examples

Win 7:

Bad Backup Set header found (0x69ebc247 at 1'959'185'371)

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lotus\Notes\Data\mail\username.nsf" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Win7 without "bad backup set header found":

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\drop\proj\wrk\h2g_multipler_controllers\stimuli\EmoFaces\Ekman\PE_neu\ANG_K.tif" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Mac OS X Lion:

Generated MD5 digest for file "Macintosh HD/Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/Windows 7-0.hdd/Windows 7-0.hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Bad Backup Set header found (0x51b9b026 at 1'897'738'903)

-----------------

My Question:

Is this a problem of the file being changed while it's backed up?

Can I just ignore this and say, and tell my users, they should close their mail while being backed up?

I tried to be as detailed as possible, but if I missed something please ask.

Thank you