Confused - Can Retrospect Create Differential Backups?

I'm totally confused - I thought that a "new segment" backup was differential. Now I found out that it is also incremental!

As I don't want to insert several media in event of restore and risking one of these media broke I search a way making differential backups work with retrospect 7.7 Windows.

Is this actually possible? And how? Plz help!

Hmmm... differential simply. All changes since last full backup. Further explanation see: http://www.backup4all.com/kb/differential-backup-117.html

OK, what do YOU mean is the difference between "differential" and the "Normal" backups Retrospect performs? ("Normal" is Retrospect GUI vocabulary). A "Normal" backup backs up the changes since the last full backup.

A Normal backup is actually "progressive", which is a step up from "differential".

Benefits of Retrospect’s ”Progressive” backup.

http://www.continuitycentral.com/SpeedvsAccuracy.pdf

OK, what do YOU mean is the difference between "differential" and the "Normal" backups Retrospect performs? ("Normal" is Retrospect GUI vocabulary). A "Normal" backup backs up the changes since the last full backup.

A Normal backup is actually "progressive", which is a step up from "differential".

Benefits of Retrospect’s ”Progressive” backup.

http://www.continuitycentral.com/SpeedvsAccuracy.pdf

Yes, I knew this. But what if I explicitely want real "differential" backups? If I do progressive I have to insert several media for restore with an increased risk of one medium being defective.

BTW: Time is not the limiting factor here as I backup on BD-RE and they only take ~22GB.

Yes, I knew this. But what if I explicitely want real "differential" backups? If I do progressive I have to insert several media for restore with an increased risk of one medium being defective.

BTW: Time is not the limiting factor here as I backup on BD-RE and they only take ~22GB.

I don't understand why progressive would impose an increased risk. If you restore recent files you only need recent media, the media the file(s) you need are stored on. That is the same with differential backups.

I have 4 hard drives on a rotating basis at home. Only one is at home at a time, the others are off site in case of fire, theft, flooding etc etc.

At work we do disk-to-disk-to-tape. The tapes are stored off site. The disk backups are always on site and available for fast restores.

I don't understand why progressive would impose an increased risk. If you restore recent files you only need recent media, the media the file(s) you need are stored on. That is the same with differential backups.

Ok. I think I just engage with that and don't persist doing things I did the last 15 Years. So there is only one "problem" I'm still facing: I make a full backup every sunday and a "progressive" backup on a new segment monday till saturday and if I want to use the monday medium again, Retrospect tells me that it already is part of a backup set. So how do I reuse these progressive backup media and break the assignment to the previous made sunday-backup-set?

Ok. I think I just engage with that and don't persist doing things I did the last 15 Years. So there is only one "problem" I'm still facing: I make a full backup every sunday and a "progressive" backup on a new segment monday till saturday and if I want to use the monday medium again, Retrospect tells me that it already is part of a backup set. So how do I reuse these progressive backup media and break the assignment to the previous made sunday-backup-set?

Retrospect tries very hard to prevent the users from accidently overwrite members belonging to a media set. You just can't "break" the "belonging".

So you should "Recycle" the media set and reuse all members belonging to that media set. A recycle backup starts with a full backup.

As a bad second choise, you could set the second member to "lost". That forces Rertospect to backup the files that was stored on the member onto the next member (which will be number 3). Then you could set number 3 to "lost" and backup theose files onto member 4. But you still can't reuse the members, as Retrospect will still "know" they are members of the media set.