Keep The Catalog Compressed?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing the Media Set option, "Keep the Catalog compressed"?

One advantage I can think of is saving some space on the hard drive where the Catalog is stored. How much space is saved, and how big are Catalog files?

One disadvantage I can think of is that it takes more time to complete the backup.

Thanks. :)

You got the advantages and disadvantages right.

"how big are catalog files?"

That's a bit like asking "how big is a building". It all depends on the number of files you back up and how many snapshots you keep. In our office with around 60 clients (servers and workstations), the catalog files are around 14GB. "Your milage may vary."

I would keep them uncompressed for performance reasons. Hard drives are so cheap today.

Edited by Lennart Thelander

You got the advantages and disadvantages right.

"how big are catalog files?"

That's a bit like asking "how big is a building". It all depends on the number of files you back up and how many snapshots you keep. In our office with around 60 clients (servers and workstations), the catalog files are around 14GB. "Your milage may vary."

I would keep them uncompressed for performance reasons. Hard drives are so cheap today.

Thank you for the reply and advice. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing the Media Set option, "Keep the Catalog compressed"?

One advantage I can think of is saving some space on the hard drive where the Catalog is stored. How much space is saved, and how big are Catalog files?

One disadvantage I can think of is that it takes more time to complete the backup.

Thanks. :)

Definitely keep them uncompressed, retrospect suffers horribly when dealing with compressed catalogs. Our catalog is 55gb and when I was using compression, it would slow down by about 6 clients per day.

• Like 1

Guest Steve Maser

Have you actually quantified that? I run 8 concurrent proactive scripts -- with 8 media sets and 8 compressed catalog files. Sure, some clients take longer to update the catalog than others after a backup, but I've never seen anything here (at least) to suggest this is because the catalog was compressed.

- Steve