Strange Duplication Error To 3Tb Drive

Guest Doc69

I've used Retrospect 6.1 for ages without any problems on a PowerMac G5 and MacBook Pro. I just bought a used Mac Pro (1,1) and an internal 3TB Hitachi 0S03086 (HDS723030ALA640). After installing the new 3TB Hitachi in an internal drive bay, I started a 'Duplicate' process where the source was a 2.5TB folder on an external 3TB Seagate drive (FW800) and the destination was the new internal Hitachi. After the duplication process ended, Retrospect could not continue with the verification process, and stopped. The log said something about the HD not being accessible (log has unfortunately been overwritten). After comparing the two directories in the Finder however, the size and number of files were identical. Then I rebooted and started the duplication process again, just to make sure everything was OK. Now about 400GB of files were deleted on the destination and then copied again. However, this finished with 100K+ errors and the size of the destination folder was now about 400GB smaller than the source. So I assume no copying was done even though it looked like Retrospect spend some hours doing it.

The log file lists the 100K+ files as: File "XXX": miscompare at data offset 135,168.

I then checked a few of the files from the log on the destination, and yes, they did not work properly. I then copied some of them manually, and that worked. I also set Retrospect to duplicate only a small sub-folder that contained files that previously was not copied in the big Duplicate run. This also worked.

As I have never had this type of error before, I'm wondering if anyone have any idea why this is happening. Could it be that the internal 3TB Hitachi drive is not properly compatible with the Mac Pro (it's the original 1,1 from 2006) or Retrospect. I remember reading that there have been problems in the past with some 3TB drives. This is the reason why Seagate, for example, so far, has only released external 3TB drives. However, the drive seems to work perfectly otherwise.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Doc69

I'm running 10.6.7, but have had no issues on my other computers. Unfortunately Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper do not seem to be able to duplicate folders, just whole partitions. I have however found a new software in the Mac App Store called "Intego Backup Express", which I'm currently playing around with. It seems to do everything I need. I may switch to this when 10.7 is out as the absence of Rosetta will not let me run Retrospect 6 anymore. And I can't use Retrospect 8 as it, for some unknown reason, did away with the Duplicate function. This is the only feature of Retrospect 6.1 I use...

I ended up re-partitioning the new Hitachi drive and then made a new 'Duplicate' of a folder less than 2TB. This worked. So I don't know what the issue was. Perhaps Retrospect 6.1 does not work properly to duplicate folders larger than 2TB?

You don't say which OS you are running. Retrospect 6.1 isn't supported on Snow Leopard (or Lion).

"Duplicate" isn't one of Retrospect's strong parts. I would recommend specialized applications such as "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "SuperDuper".

Edited by Doc69

I may switch to this when 10.7 is out as the absence of Rosetta will not let me run Retrospect 6 anymore.

Have you seen anything official from Apple about Rosetta?

Because I haven't and Rosetta was missing from all Snow Leopard pre-releases, too. But Rosetta was there when the official release came out.

And you don't have to use Lion at all. I will not, for one.

Guest Doc69

Have you seen anything official from Apple about Rosetta?

Because I haven't and Rosetta was missing from all Snow Leopard pre-releases, too. But Rosetta was there when the official release came out.

I guess I have not seen anything official from Apple regarding Rosetta. So let's hope it stays! People have tried to install the 10.6 Rosetta in 10.7 however, but apparently that does not work.

Also, I've noticed that Retrospect 6.1 does not show up in Activity Monitor. I wanted to check if it really needs Rosetta. Could you confirm?

I guess I have not seen anything official from Apple regarding Rosetta. So let's hope it stays! People have tried to install the 10.6 Rosetta in 10.7 however, but apparently that does not work.

Also, I've noticed that Retrospect 6.1 does not show up in Activity Monitor. I wanted to check if it really needs Rosetta. Could you confirm?

Yes, I really need Rosetta, too.

Yes, Retrospect 6.1 is indeed PowerPC and does need Rosetta.