Changes in Retrospect 6.0 from 5.1

One of the changes that doesn't seem to be mentioned is the loss of functionality of Retrospect in general.

Actually, we upgraded from 4.6 to 6.0, so I can't comment about 5.1. My experience was that while the user interface maintained nearly all of its quirky difficulty, some useful features have totally disappeared. For instance, in OS 10.3.x, I find that Retrospect Workgroup is unable to shut down the backup computer when the backup script is completed, because (I quote)

"Logout has timed out because the application Retrospect failed to quit".

Maybe this will be fixed someday?

There is a very similar problem with the clients, of course. In the old days, OS 9 clients would delay shutdown until they had been backed up, and then they would actually shut down. With a client on OSX, the user can shut down with not a peep from Retrospect Client. So you have to leave the computer on, and when the backup is finished, the computer stays running. One user even shut down her computer while it was being backed up and the client said nothing, but the backup crashed.

I wish someday to be able to look in a window somewhere and actually be able to read off how many Gb have been used of a given tape.

Quote:

in OS 10.3.x, I find that Retrospect Workgroup is unable to shut down the backup computer when the backup script is completed, because (I quote)

"Logout has timed out because the application Retrospect failed to quit".

Then the question becomes, why did Retrospect fail to quit?

Perhaps you have another script schedule to run within the look-ahead time window, and you have Retrospect configured to alert you of such pending scripts. This will cause Retrospect to properly wait for user-intervention before quitting.

If this is the case, then you're reporting a user error, since the "unattended" preference setting specifically notes "Take this action when an unattended execution completes and no other script are scheduled to run within (look-ahead) hours."

Archived