Retrospect 7.5 - 5th Week of the month - scripting removable USB HDD's

Hey, we are scripting rotating removable USB HDD drives: (our monday-thursday works fine rotating HDD's)

Its just the friday which is giving us trouble!

this is how we have it set up:

HDD1 - Friday Week 1

HDD2 - Friday Week 2

HDD1 - Friday Week 3

HDD2 - Friday Week 4

But every 12 weeks the last friday of the month is the 5th week, which stuffs up our script as week 1 is now the 2nd week HDD...etc...its just very hard to rotate it when this happens.

Is there anyway to script it so we can use another USB HDD on this day (aprox every 3 months)

Retrospec seems to only be able to be sceduled to run on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & last...no 5th???

any help would be great!

OK, I will give it a try.

You can schedule a backup for HDD1 every 2 weeks starting today (Friday).

You can schedule a backup for HDD2 every 2 weeks starting next week (Friday).

Then EXCHANGE the two drives every week.

I don't really see the point for four schdules (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th week of the month).

Quote:

OK, I will give it a try.

You can schedule a backup for HDD1 every 2 weeks starting today (Friday).

You can schedule a backup for HDD2 every 2 weeks starting next week (Friday).

Then EXCHANGE the two drives every week.

I don't really see the point for four schdules (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th week of the month).

thanks for your reply! Basically we have two folders on each HDD, which contain Friday week 1 & week 3 backup sets. (the drives are 250GB) so we are having 4 weeks of backup because we have room for it.

Really the main reason is for the staff who takes the media off site. Because HDD1 labled "Week 1 & 3" wont line up with calander (Friday week 1 wont be the first friday of the month) because of the 5th friday of the month (every 12 weeks).

Looks like we will have to make a calander and print it out and leave it where the media is kept (off site) - for now anyway

thanks

Instead of calling the backup sets "week 1", "week 2" and so on, call them "Week A", "Week B", "Week C" and "Week D". On disk 1 you have A and C, on disk 2 you have B and D.

Then you should have four schedules, using backup sets A, B C and D, each performing a backup every 4 weeks, with staggered starting dates.

That way you should still just exchange the two drives each week. No need for a calendar.

Archived