System Failure: Stop error - Windows 2003 Crashing

causaL

I am running Retrospect 7.0.326. I have noticed that just recently, Retrospect has been crashing Windows, forcing a reboot. Every morning i get an error message from Windows and a message from Retrospect "Execution terminated unexpectedly, possibly due to a power failure or system crash." The only changes i just recently made to the server, include upgrading Norton Antivirus Corporate 8 to version 10 and adding another backup script to perform a "Duplicate" backup to a completely different server; Secondary Domain Controller. I have deferred all backups until this can be resolved as i cannot have the server rebooting, of course. smile.gif Any tips would be helpful

Windows 2003 Server

Event Log --------------------------------------------------

The reason supplied by user SERVER\Administrator for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error

Reason Code: 0x805000f

Bug ID:

Bugcheck String: 0x00000050 (0xfffffff6, 0x00000000, 0x8093c72c, 0x00000000)

Comment: 0x00000050 (0xfffffff6, 0x00000000, 0x8093c72c, 0x00000000)

In the past, I've seen issues with Norton/Symantec and Windows' Volume Shadow Copy Service. As a test, can you go into your script (switch to advanced mode if you are in wizard mode), click on Options>More Choices, go to Windows>Open Files and uncheck Duplicate open files. Depending on whether the files you're duplicating are in use, you may have more errors during the backup, but it'd be interesting to see whether the machine will crash anymore. In at least one case, I've seen that it requires a full uninstall of Norton/Symantec to get rid of this problem. That may be worth a try if disabling open file backup still causes the machine to crash.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived