New network card installed now multicast doesn't work (Redhat client)

affa

Hi,

I set this box up in the lab (i.e. my coffee table) and everything is great, discovers via multicast just fine. Depolyed onto network.

Installed another NIC exclusively for backup recently due to network load, now I can't discover the client via multicast.

Interesting things are:

1. There are no subnets to cross. the interface on the windows server is on the same vlan as the new NIC of the redhat box. In fact, they're on the same switch.

2. All the other clients work on multicast fine (they are all windows however) - so I guess the underlying network isn't an issue here.

3. If I use direct IP, it detects and connects (and thats how its working at the moment)

Now I am not just pedantic and want to make the multicast thing work, I need it to work becasue I don't want to be doing direct connection for numberous boxes and maintenance later when things change down the line.....

Is it possible that retroclient binded itself to the original NIC and only listens on that NIC and ignored the new backup-only NIC?

Is there a way to bind retroclient onto a particular NIC? I did a search on the forum and I think there (/ip or -ip) are but the info isn't very specific and I can't find any doc on it regarding the semantics of the argument.....

While we are at it, if anyone can tell me this info for *nix, windows and MacOS that would save me asking the same questions again later! smile.gif

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Arthur

Did some ethereal capture and it seems like the Retrospect server is indeed sending multicast packets to 224.1.0.38 as I can see them on the problematic client's backup-only network interface in ethereal under promiscuous mode. However, it seems like the linux box knows nothing about it, no replies, no nothing.

Tried reinstalling, no help.....

Direct IP discovery and broadcast discovery still works fine.......

• 2 weeks later...

Archived