Backup not available

Hey all,

I made a quick checkup of all the backups running at the company. We have several PCs and Macs. The mac laptops are backuped using proactive backups.

Now I made a test run on one of the mac laptops but when I try to access the backup Retrospect gives me "Backup not available". Tha'ts funny because in the history I have a backup of yesterday which says "Backup completed successfully". The protocol says that about 700 files have been copied.

I find this a little bit scary because i was thinking everything is allright with my backups. Obviously not because i cannot access them for this particular machine.

What can be the cause of this? I need to trust the software...

• Like 2

Now I made a test run on one of the mac laptops but when I try to access the backup Retrospect gives me "Backup not available". 

Is that the exact wording of the error message?

In what way were you trying to access "the backup" when you got the message?

Was there a backup running at the same time, keeping the media set busy?

Is that the exact wording of the error message?

In what way were you trying to access "the backup" when you got the message?

Was there a backup running at the same time, keeping the media set busy?

The Exact wording is "Backup nicht verfügbar" which is german and i translated it to "Backup not available" which is a 1:1 ( and correct) translation. I've googled the error in english and german to no avail..

I just clicked "recover" and then took the option "Recover selected files and folders". When I click "browse" on the machine i mentioned, the error message pops up. I tried with two other mac machines and the files showed up after the statusbar completed.

at my first attempt there was a script running. I also suspected it to suppress my recovery but now i can rule it out. Because 1) it worked on the other machines i tested and 2) after my script was finished i retried. Also to no avail. The error message keeps popping up.

That seems odd.

On the one hand, it looks like the media set is NOT available.

On the other hand, a backup was running so it looks like the media set IS available.

What kind of media set is it? Disk? Are the member volumes local volumes? Or network volumes?

Have you tried restarting the server computer?

Yes its weird! It worked with the other machines and everytime backup of this machine is done it says "Backup was successful".

I use a Promise HDD-Raid as mediaset.

Nope, no restart yet because I need the other server services running atm.