Problems with tape drive/compatibilityissues?

I bought an AIT2 Tape Drive. It was reconditioned from their clearance corner. When it first arrived, I tried 3 times to make a backup of my drive. It would backup 2 - 3G and then quit. I called LaCie and sent it back. When I got it back - with supposedly a new drive - it ate the first tape I inserted. I put another tape in, tried a backup. After 18 hours it had backed up about 2/3 of my drive then bombed my computer. I sent it back again. Got it again yesterday. Tried a backup last night. It backed up about 2.8G, then stalled. I will try one more time tonight. Could I really have 3 bad drives or is something else going on. I can't seem to get much help when I call LaCie. Could there be a conflict of some sort? I have the latest version of Retrospect, the latest drivers etc. I have a PPC 1.25 dual. Running OS 10.2.8. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

I've got some recommendations for you on your set up. Can I assume that you're using a Dual 1.25 G4? You didn't mention the model, the version of Retro you run, the driver update, or any previous set up with Retro that may (or may not) be working. You also neglected to describe the interface on your drive/computer. There are many different configurations supplied: SCSI, Firewire (IEEE1394), ATA.

So, based on what you did say here's what I'd look at:

1. OS 10.3.5 is the latest OS for your machine. Retro had some issues with 10.2.8, so I suggest you update.

2. The loading problems you experienced with clearance (B Stock), reconditioned machines is not uncommon in my experience. Those are obviously AIT drive issues. In cases of tapes not storing data past 2-3GB, now that could be something else. Generally, without further information, I would suggest you check to see that the drive is properly recognized, terminated in the case of SCSI and that tapes previously saved can be restored from.

3. Verify that your system is operating normally with Retro in the old configuration before adding AIT2 reconditioned drives.

Perhaps some of these suggestions don't apply to you.

Yes, I am using a Dual 1.25 G4. Using the USB connection. Retro: 6.0.204, Driver: 5.9.104.

I will look into upgrading to 10.3.5.

I have not used Retro previously on this computer. I have used an older version out at work, but with a SCSI tape drive so I'm not sure what "perating normally with Retro in the old configuration before adding AIT2 reconditioned drives" would be.

I started a backup last night. It seems to be working but is VERY slow. I was trying to backup one of my drives: about 55G. It is nearly 1/2 done this morning. Should it be that SLOW? I'm going to have to quit it pretty soon so I can work. Can I just restart it tonight to pick up where it left off?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Archived