Western digital external hard drive (WDXB2500JBRNN RT) with Retrospect 6.5 express

chrishaolin

I posted this on the hardware forum, but I realized it might be appropriate to post it here also. If this is not the case, I apologize.

Hey all,

I recently installed Retrospect 6.5 express which includes the drivers for the Western digital external harddrive (USB/dual option). I correctly connected the drive, began to transfer some files to the external drive, when the power source became disconnected to the drive. I reconnected the external drive adn successfully transferred some files to the drive. I sucessfully disconnected the drive and resumed work in XP.

A little while after, I received a Blue screen of death, which read something like:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer if this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or drive controllers.."

I am trying to find the cause of this error message.. I think it might have something to do with the drive, but STOP error message also mentioned something about recently installed software, which is why I am not ruling out the possibilty of Retrospect being the cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about it unless after a reboot you still run into this.

Losing power to an external hard drive while it's running qualifies as "something quite unusual and unforseen." And Windows gets has hard enough time being stable even absent such things. :-)

Might wanna run a chkdsk on that external drive to make sure you didn't really goof it up with that power interruption.

Archived