EasyScript four-week backup takes 16 hours?

I just purchased a 250 GB Firewire HD to be used strictly for Retrospect backups.

I decided to use the "EasyScript Four-Week backup" script, starting the backup at 12:05AM. This morning at 8:00AM the backup was only half-completed.

The Retrospect Log reads, in part:

Retrospect version 5.0.238

automatically launched at 10/14/2004 12:05 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.3.104

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 10/14/2004 12:05 AM

To backup set Four-Week Backup…

* Resolved container Local Desktop container to 3 volumes:

Macintosh HD

eMac Backup HD

eMac Backup2

Where the "Macintosh HD" is my internal HD, "eMac Backup HD is my old external Firewire HD and "eMac Backup2" is the new Firewire drive I want to use for all backups.

The Retrospect script reads, in part: Sources: Local Desktop Container, Destinations: Four-Week Backup (I previously created the split Four-Week Backup File and Four-Week Backup.cat file on the new HD), Selecting: All Files.

It appears that I've scripted all three eternal hard drives to back up to my new hard drive. I don't understand the phrase "Local Desktop container". Do I need to modify the EasyScript to have as it's source just my Internal HD?

Quote:

It appears that I've scripted all three eternal hard drives to back up to my new hard drive. I don't understand the phrase "Local Desktop container". Do I need to modify the EasyScript to have as it's source just my Internal HD?

Yes. The Local Desktop Container is any local (not networked) volume that shows up on the Desktop (if you have OS X configured to display volumes there).

Just change the Source to the single volume you want, instead of the Container.

Dave

Dave:

Thank you for telling me what in hindsight seems obvious! I did as you suggested and while the first backup took over three hours (still a great deal better than the extimated 16 hours!), the backup the next night took about six minutes. Seems that Retrospect could have made the script a little less all-encompassing.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived