Retrospect 6.5 - compatibility System Restore vs. Norton GoBack

tdushane

In the fora, I've noticed a lot of discussion (negative) about problems when using Retrospect when the System Restore of XP is enabled.

Norton GoBack is a program I have never used, but because of Symantec's credibility, I am asking if GoBack is preferable to SR for the best use of Retrospect.

Or is it best to use none of this stuff, as they may cause more problems than they solve.

I am asking this question because, at present, I am using Windows 2K and am using disk backup sets. I am concerned that the disk backup sets may be adversely affected if I "upgrade" to Widows XP Professional.

Ted Dushane

Neither System Restore or GoBack is perfect, but you can use both at the same time. Unless you allocate a huge amount of disk space to GoBack, it will save your history for only a couple of days, if you use your computer a lot, whereas System Restore keeps its data for a much longer period of time. GoBack saves everything, including junk files and data. System Restore only saves system settings. GoBack also seems, at least on my system, to create an error in the file system of the boot partition that CHKDSK can't fix, though Microsoft says it's not actually an error. GoBack seems to have no effect on anything else I've noticed, once it's running, except for Partition Magic and Disk Defragmenter, for which it should be turned off.

- David

Here's my experience... I'm running WinXP Pro and up to recently I used GoBack3.x (from Roxio) along with Retrospect 6.5 Pro. GB3.x is not supported by SP2 for WinXP Pro (which I installed last month) so I discontinued use of GB. Up until then, I absolutely loved GB and found it far superior to System Restore (GB saved my bacon several times)! GB does cause a few errors during a Retrospect backup, but those errors never created any real problem. So far, I have not chosen to upgrade to GB4 for two reasons...

1) I am usually leery of x.0 releases.

2) Symantec's poor support.

David pretty much summarized the differences between GB and SR (which I am now using), but I have found that because SR does not restore everything (as GB does) when you wish to restore the entire volume, SR often leaves you with a very messy restore! Btw, other significant differences between the two are that with SR you must restore the entire 'restore point' (entire volume, sort of) - whereas with GB you can choose to restore the entire volume (exactly as it existed at the specified date and time), as well as individual files/folders! Also, in order to use SR, you must be able to bootup Windows, whereas you can access GB even if Windows won't boot (as long as you don't have a hard disk crash)!

I have not been able to identify any SR conflicts with Retrospect, with the possible exception that I've been finding lots of duplicate files on my system of late! crazy.gif

You mention that GB 3.x is incompatible with SP2. I'm wondering where you are getting that information from.

I don't know about WinXP Pro, but until a few days ago, I was using GB 3.x on my XP Home system with SP2 without any problems. I bought SystemWorks to try to solve an entirely unrelated problem, and because it came with Norton Antivirus and my PC-Cillin antivirus subscription was running out. I have noticed no difference in the way XP Home with SP2 responds to GoBack 4 from the way it responded to GoBack 3. The only thing I've noticed is that the UI is a bit different (in that it's integrated into SystemWorks, which is slightly annoying) and it has a "Tryout" feature (which I have not tried out yet).

- David

I switched from Goback to Raxco's First Defense-ISR, which I use in conjunction with Retrospect 6.5. Big advantage is you can disable for backups without loss of history. Like anything there are pro's and con's, but a big pro is raxco has excellent support. FDISR is very compatible with Retrospect.

As a matter of fact, I got that info from Symantec (along with an offer to upgrade to GB4)! They wouldn't have said that just to get people to fork out $$ for an upgrade, would they? Nah. smirk.gif .....From what you guys are telling me, I'll reinstall my GB 3 Dlx and see what happens!

Archived