Burning to Nero Express

Saltair

I have successfully backed up & created a 'Disaster Recovery Image Disc' which I now have to burn to CD.

I have three problems.

(a) How do I burn the Image file to CD? I have Nero Express 5.5 & have already tried the 'Burn Data' function without success (The disc won't boot).

(B) If I succeed in creating a bootable 'Disaster Recovery Disc' on a CD-RW disc, will I be able to safely delete the image with Nero Express before creating a new & updated version without causing any problems to the OS & also saving CD's?

I have Windows XP Home Edition.

© In the 'Disaster Recovery Information' printout after the Disaster Recovery image file has been completed, it states in 'Installing the OS', paragraph 1, to refer to the "Restoring an Entire Windows Computer" section in Chapter 7 of the Retrospect User's Guide for an alternate (manual) procedure if the Disaster Recovery Disc does not work. I cannot seem to find this. Can anyone help this raw beginner?

On (a), I took a look at Nero Express (don't use but it comes with the full Nero) and don't see the "Burn Image" option that's in other programs such as Nero and EzCD. The problem with the "Burn Data" option is that it's saving the ISO *to* the CD instead of making the entire CD from the ISO.

I popped back into Nero Express (6.3 since I don't have the older 5.5 installed. Hopefully 5.5 looks similar) and took another look. To burn an ISO, you choose "Disk Image or Saved Project" rather than "Data Disc" and select the Retrospect .iso image. In my case the default type was "All Nero compilation and images" but only "Image Files" could also be selected if needed.

G'day GoAWest,

My thanks for the trouble you took checking Nero Express. Version 5.5 also has the 'Disc image or Saved Project' function, so I will give it a go. If all fails I can always upgrade to the full version of Nero.

Any comment on my (B) question? Is it safe or possible to erase a R-RW Disaster Recovery disc? I am on a steeeep learning curve with my first computer here & realise that this may well be a silly question. blush.gifblush.gif

I'm sorry I didn't respond to B) but I didn't really understand the question. I don't know of any reason that you can't freely erase CDRWs. I wouldn't delete the ISO image from your harddrive until you've safely burned it to a CDR or CDRW although it's not a safety issue--you'd just have to take the time to recreate the ISO if it didn't burn. I don't use CDRW for anything these days since CDRs are so cheap (often free...) that its easier to just throw a CDR away and burn another one.

Archived