Failed to Initialize ?

blewyn

Add my voice to those above. Maxtor One Touch II with Retrospect Express HD, running under Windows XP. Retrospect initialized as it should, but mysteriously becomes nonresponsive quite frequently (i.e., clicking on either the System Tray icon, or the listing in the Start Menu, does not launch the app), and one must reboot the entire machine in order to make Retrospect Express again available.

This is not good news.

ACD

For what it's worth, I recently installed Express 6.0.222 on an XP SP2 machine and it seemed to work okay. What version do you have?

I think I also saw some knowledgebase articles mentioning sp2.

I'm not sure if this URL is portable, but I found it using a knowledgebase search on "XP sp2"

"Using Retrospect with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2"

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.3294947

I am not sure that XP SP2 is causing the problem, but it is the only major thing that has changed on my PC since it stopped working.

I did already look at the FAQ about using Retrospect with XP SP2 but it seems to be talking about how to configure the SP2 firewall to let Retrospect through. As I am not performing network backups I do not think that this applies to my situation. In any case, Retrospect shouldn't cause an exception if it can't access the network.

I have an AMD64 machine with DEP enabled. I have had some problems with other programs that were solved by disabling DEP for those programs, but in those cases there was a DEP specific error message that came up. In this case the error message is not DEP related, but even so I have tried to exclude Retrospect from the DEP mechanism. Unfortunately that also didn't solve the problem.

RE, my above post reporting that RExpHD frequently became nonresponsive, I think the problem is solved. Seems RExpHD was running into my Norton Internet Security's firewall, and was shut down by it (I have XP's SP2 firewall disabled). After setting Norton to give RExpHD carte blanche clearance to do its thing, the problem has disappeared.

ACD

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your suggestion - I am assuming that it was for the crashing problem.

I tried to uninstall, reboot, remove the config60.dat and config60.bak and then re-install but it made no difference. I also tried the same but instead of just removing the 2 files I removed the whole directory but I still get the same error message:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application"

So - unfortunately I am still no closer to solving this problem.

I'm getting the error message "Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application." when I press the One-Touch button. Retrospect doesn't appear in the Programs list, but when I try to start it from Explorer, the same error message appears. I've reinstalled several different ways--with a newly burned disk from an ISO file downloaded from Maxtor, with a bin file saved on my desktop, in a new account, etc. Nothing works. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Dantz, and, despite valiant efforts, the tech couldn't figure it out either. I'm running Windows xp SP2.

I had forgotten to install the Retrospect software before I installed the drive. Would this have some permanent effect on the ability to properly install after that? (I tried uninstalling Retrospect and reinstalling it with the drive disconnected, but that didn't work.) I'm still getting that same error message, "Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Explore the Maxtor disk and open up the folder named "bin". Then copy the Retrospect install folder located there to your hard drive. Then run the setup.exe from there.

If there is an error when you copy the install folder then you likely have a damaged install CD.

Thanks

Nate

I copied the file to my hardrive and ran setup.exe which appeared to all run smoothly but still the same message appears when I try to run the program.

""Retrospect.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly [0xc0000005].

Click on Ok to terminate the application"

Maxtor advice was..

This Windows error may be fixed by uninstalling software and re-registering Windows installer.

Register windows installer.

1. Click "Start", and then click "Run", type "cmd"

2. type "msiexec /unregister"

3. then type another command "msiexec /regserver"

I tried this but it did not make any difference.

Any more suggestions please?

Yours in Appreciation,

Jesper Hansen

Had same problem and Called Maxtor. They had me go to msconfig and uncheck some of the startup programs along with disabling virus firewall etc. Finally got it to work but after all of that I'm not sure I even want to use the program. Went back to regular backup program I'd been using as it gives you the folders etc it has backed up in normal explorer format. HD 1.o gave me nbr'd files that were all the same size and undiscernable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I got it working though !

• 1 year later...

Please !!

Get users with this problem to go to article #7981.

Updated windows security causes issues with the DEP (Data Execution prevention) list.

Maxtor and Dantz tech support do not seem to be aware of the problem or the solution, but lots of users having trouble.

Archived