what to do when disk is full?

I am presently backing up to an external 111GB USB external hard drive using Easyscript backup.

When the disk gets full, I just delete eveything on the external disk and start over.

Is there a better procedure? I am now up to backup set Q.

thanks!

Hi Peter,

I am new at using Retrospect myself.

So Just a suggestion where as instead of having just the one Easyscript backup full of increment backups that is filling up your hard drive, start with one backup session with a few increment backups then start another backup session. Depending on the size of your hard drive, do this three or four times. Once the hard drive starts to get full then delete the first backup session. For instance, start a new backup on the first of each month and add the increment backups to that for the rest of the month, either weekly or few days. Hopefully, ya can get a few months saved up before ya have to delete the oldest backup. Unless, of course, your a fortune 500 company. Then you'll need more and bigger external hard drives. lol.

Ya don't want to delete everything on the external disk and start over, cause sure as heck that will be just the time that ya need a backup session to replace a file or folder.

frown.giffrown.gif

I have three backups on three different drive, one internal and two external. One of which is off site, just in case. I am going to start utilizing the "recycle" option in Restrospect next to see if that will be easier to use for my purpose.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

DaHen's strategy is good one. Another strategy is to set up a "short term" (e.g. backup daily, recylce monttly) and "long term" (e.g. backup weekly, recycle yearly) backup, scaled as needed (daily/weekly/monthly) based on your level of paranoia and available disk space. Make sure the recycles of these two (or more) sets aren't too near each other. This gives you some backup redundancy, frequent backups and a good long backup history.

If you're setting up multiple backups, you might also choose to minimze what's in some of them using selectors and subvolumes. So your nightly backup could be "all except cache files" (to catch everything) but other backups might be for data only or only for specific folders.

Archived