1017 - error (insufficient permissions)

chesavtraining

I am trying to backup my notebook PC that is accessed as drive C on my MSHOME wireless network. I am getting a 1017 - error (insufficient permissions) problem. I can access this notebook drive fine from the computer that has the Maxtor drive connected. But Express for some reason doesn't want to backup this drive. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am running the latest versions of X/P Professional on both.

I have been able to do a manual backup (if I remember correctly). But one that gets kicked off automatically during the week doesn't seem to get by this error.

- Scott -

Yes, this has been done. I have my "main" computer with the larger backup drive that I'm copying to. The laptop has the disk that I want to backup. I created a script to run at a specific time. When this is executed, the script stops with the permission error. I can surf to the files on the laptop with no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem trying to backup across a network

i have a mapped drive that if i click on i can access fuine but retrospect gives this error

"Can't access volume C on Server, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)"

Any one got any ideas?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having this same problem, and the solution presented is an option available only in Retrospect 6.5, not the OEM version of Retrospect 6.5 Express. Near as I can tell, the express version does not have the security option available under Preferences.

Any other suggestions on how to duplicate across a network? I can see the backup drive from my networked PC and I can drag and drop files to it in Explorer with no problems, but Retrospect gives me the 1017 error when trying to write to it. It will create the exact directory structure but will not copy the individual files (all the folders are there but they are all empty).

• 9 months later...

I followed the instructions and typed in the username of an adminstrator of the machine where Retrospect is running. It accepts the username and password, but when I try to start the service it says "Could not start the Retrospect Launcher service on Local Computer. Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure." This is with Retrospect 6.0 on XP.

• 1 month later...

I'm running Retrospect Express 6.5.350 on Windows XP Home. I've made the Launcher changes so Retrospect can use an automated script to back up from a folder on another computer. Now when it launches any automated script for local or network backup, I get a partial display of the Retrospect window and have to use Task Manager to terminate Retrospect.

Knowledge base article 5665 alludes to this problem in versions prior to 6.5:

Quote:

"Note: If you modify the launcher service under Windows XP, Retrospect 6.0 and earlier will not display windows/dialogs correctly on screen during a scheduled backup. This problem has been corrected in Retrospect 6.5"

Is a version of Express available in which the problem has been corrected?

Archived